Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boom 19 - Autumn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-19-autumn-t289352.html)

terriamn 11-12-2017 06:38 AM

Looks great Sewbiz, did you follow the tutorial Kass wrote for the wide sashing.

mjpEncinitas 11-12-2017 06:39 AM

I'm amazed at how you used those shirts!

sewbizgirl 11-12-2017 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 7942541)
Looks great Sewbiz, did you follow the tutorial Kass wrote for the wide sashing.

I didn't... Didn't stop to look it up. :p I just felt my way thorough it. It's not that different than the narrow sashing except for two things: You don't use the top piece doubled, just single with the edge turned under, and you insert batting and quilt it down after. QAYG is so cool!

Will have to look up Kass' tute and see how she does it.

sewbizgirl 11-12-2017 07:03 AM

Found Kass' tute. Sounds like pretty much the same way I did it, minus the starch and glue. Kass, for some reason your pictures have disappeared again! The board should maintain it's tutes better. They are a valuable resource for the site. :hunf:

Kassaundra 11-12-2017 08:19 AM

The new set is still there, they are on post 20. The moderator said she was going to put a note on the first post but no note has ever been put on it that I know of.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7942571)
Found Kass' tute. Sounds like pretty much the same way I did it, minus the starch and glue. Kass, for some reason your pictures have disappeared again! The board should maintain it's tutes better. They are a valuable resource for the site. :hunf:

terriamn 11-12-2017 10:29 AM

Dumb question but how does the wide sashing on the front affect how you do the back

Kassaundra 11-12-2017 11:01 AM

With the narrow sashing you are using the two abutting seam allowance as the "filler", and that "batting" doesn't require securing by quilting. When you widen the sashing you need to add batting and it will need some quilting for securing. Other then that what you do on the back isn't affected. But you have to chose between either continuing to double one of the sashes as normal or turning one edge before topstitching. If your sashing is pieced you almost surely have to turn the edge rather then double.

Janice McC 11-12-2017 03:42 PM

One thing I found when I made the wide sashing was that it was imperative to fit those wide batting strips well. Too narrow, there's a gap. Too wide, there's a ridge that's unappealing. After a few of them, you get a good feel for what is just right.

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7942724)
With the narrow sashing you are using the two abutting seam allowance as the "filler", and that "batting" doesn't require securing by quilting. When you widen the sashing you need to add batting and it will need some quilting for securing. Other then that what you do on the back isn't affected. But you have to chose between either continuing to double one of the sashes as normal or turning one edge before topstitching. If your sashing is pieced you almost surely have to turn the edge rather then double.

sewbizgirl 11-12-2017 08:37 PM

Someone on the VQW mentioned that their wide sashed QAYG was perfect until they washed it, and then little gaps appeared between the inserted batting and the batting of the blocks... like the batting shrank more than the fabric. Have you had anything happen like that, Kass or Janice? I have quilted big diamonds on my sashings, but if the batting might shrink more than the fabric, I might need to go back and quilt it down more.

Kassaundra 11-13-2017 04:29 AM

I have not, I tend towards slightly more batting width, not enough to make a ridge but enough so there is no "play"