Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/international-fabric-swap-sign-up-will-close-january-5-2012-a-t139483.html)

Aully 10-15-2011 01:46 PM

I mailed all the FQ's today along with my blocks for the Holiday/Winter swap. It costed $28.

mim 10-15-2011 01:56 PM

WOW !! that was a lot of weight !!

I mailed by parcel post today my huge suitcase back to WA. It has the quilt I am working on and the waterfall WH for my dining area, on as well as clothes, extra shoes and my DJ quilt book and blocks. Because the quilt takes up a lot of space it was only $60 this time -- In the spring it was $76 -- a lot heavier.

And prescriptions -- I don't trust the PSA guards not to confiscate stuff. They have total control and can do whatever they please -- even if it is against regulations. It is a sad state of affairs when we have to mis-trust authority. It will get to WA before I do next week
Mim

Originally Posted by Aully
I mailed all the FQ's today along with my blocks for the Holiday/Winter swap. It costed $28.

heyuitsme 10-16-2011 12:36 PM

ok, quick question...
should the salvage edge be cut off even if there is no words on it? what I mean is that some have a slightly different texture on the salvage...should that not be included in the fat quarter measurements?
I'm not sure and definitely don't want any of my fats disqualified! :)

heyuitsme 10-16-2011 12:37 PM

am I spelling salvage wrong? it looks funny to me. :-D salvage, selvage? lol

Quilt Mom 10-16-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by heyuitsme
ok, quick question...
should the salvage edge be cut off even if there is no words on it? what I mean is that some have a slightly different texture on the salvage...should that not be included in the fat quarter measurements?

When you use the fabric, yes the selvedge (also spelled selvage) should be cut off, because it is more tightly woven than the rest of the fabric. As for me, I like to see the selvedge that has the writing, because then I can know a little more about the fabric. Sometimes company/design line/designer are listed.

heyuitsme 10-16-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

ok, quick question...

When you use the fabric, yes the selvedge (also spelled selvage) should be cut off, because it is more tightly woven than the rest of the fabric. As for me, I like to see the selvedge that has the writing, because then I can know a little more about the fabric. Sometimes company/design line/designer are listed.

thanks...kinda simple/dumb question, but I don't really know too much about sewing...at least not sewing the right way. I 'wing-it' a lot. :)

Mrs B 10-16-2011 09:37 PM

ok, quick question...

heyuitsme: the selvage should be left on when you are cutting fabric into fat quarters. It is only removed when you use that fabric for sewing. So when you cut up a yard or half yard of fabric into fat quarters no don't cut the selvage off.

hobbykat1955 10-17-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs B

ok, quick question...

heyuitsme: the selvage should be left on when you are cutting fabric into fat quarters. It is only removed when you use that fabric for sewing. So when you cut up a yard or half yard of fabric into fat quarters no don't cut the selvage off.

I agree leave on...some people use it to make things...Also I have some vintage fabric from the 50's that was Made in USA and those rec'ing I think would like to see maker etc...

Quilt Mom 10-17-2011 05:22 AM

thanks...kinda simple/dumb question, but I don't really know too much about sewing...at least not sewing the right way. I 'wing-it' a lot. :)

Winging it is great! Do you have a thread where you have some of your work? I'd like to see some examples. I' always up for something new -

And remember, there is no dumb question. We all have a lot of opinions, and are willing to offer them.

heyuitsme 10-17-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Winging it is great! Do you have a thread where you have some of your work? I'd like to see some examples. I' always up for something new -

And remember, there is no dumb question. We all have a lot of opinions, and are willing to offer them.

thanks for the answers ladies...had no idea if I should leave it on the fat quarters or not...
here's a thread of the quilts I've made:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-159939-1.htm

and here are 'the mistakes I've made'.....you can see here why I might have been wondering about edges. :lol:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-159946-1.htm