Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   March to June 2015 Wall Hanging Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/march-june-2015-wall-hanging-swap-t261647.html)

JuneBillie 06-18-2015 08:07 AM

Kassaundra that is a pretty stained glass effect.

MizMelly 06-18-2015 09:49 AM

Hi Susan,
One of the guys at work makes these cool wood quilt hangers that has a center rod with marbles in it, you push the top of the quilt into the rod and the marbles hold it in place! So no sleeve needed! Although I did put one on my wall hanging because I just wasn't sure when I was finishing it. I need to commission one of his hangers so I rotate out wall hangings instead of having to cut flat furring strips and drill holes in the ends for an invisible hanger. I'll see if he has any photos of what he makes.

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 7230723)
MizMelly that is an adorable quilt. It is a bright happy quilt. Makes me smile. I love your beautiful Kitty too. Oh, also what kind of wall hanger is it that doesn't need a sleeve on it? Does it have clips that hang down?

ube quilting 06-18-2015 03:32 PM

Mizmelly, what a happy and cheerful quilt. That bee couldn't be happier with those choice flowers.

The hanger you describe sounds interesting. How did this co- worker get inspired to make hangers for quilts? Does he plan on expanding his work load!
peace

As for a hanging sleeve, I put one on all the WHings I send out. It is little work and if not needed it is not a big loss of time , energy or cost. I use my scraps for them and also use them as the signature block sometimes.
peace

MizMelly 06-19-2015 06:52 AM

Hi Ube!
I did not get a chance to talk to my co-worker about getting a custom quilt hanger made. I'm not sure where he got the inspiration, he said his mother owns a longarm machine and does a lot of work for quilters. I did see a similar system at a craft and sewing show back in January, and I had picked up their sheet with dimensions and pricing to show to my co-worker. Unfortunately I can't find the sheet! I just know that it's fairly new concept, I can't find anything comparable on the internet either. I'll have to snag Randy (co-worker) next week and ask him if he has any photos of his system. It sounds really neat and no sleeve needed!

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 7231129)
Mizmelly, what a happy and cheerful quilt. That bee couldn't be happier with those choice flowers.

The hanger you describe sounds interesting. How did this co- worker get inspired to make hangers for quilts? Does he plan on expanding his work load!
peace

As for a hanging sleeve, I put one on all the WHings I send out. It is little work and if not needed it is not a big loss of time , energy or cost. I use my scraps for them and also use them as the signature block sometimes.
peace

JNCT14 06-19-2015 08:47 AM

Hey MizMelly - remember that quilt hangers can be decorative and add to the quilt. For this swap I did a New England Lighthouse and used fishing lures to hang the quilt from a wood dowel. The I got a little nuts thinking about all the possibilities - baby rattles, kitchen utensils, sewing objects like thread spools....(ok so I went a bit over the top....).

But I really like the hanger with marbles idea. I think I will ask my dad how to make one!

skaduzy 06-19-2015 04:37 PM

I am getting excited! The end of June is not too far away!

ube quilting 06-19-2015 04:42 PM

Here is something you might find interesting:

http://24blocks.com/2015/06/new-mach..._term=20150619

Just when I learn a new technique they go and invent something to change the game!
peace

ube quilting 06-22-2015 04:36 PM

I might get lucky and see a bear tonight the town is posting his progress through the neighborhood and it is headed in my direction. Hopefully we know all the precautions to take. It has been about 6 years since my last sighting when one was snooping around my shed where bird feed is stored. I am anxious.
peace

MizMelly 06-23-2015 08:04 AM

Hi Ube, hope you didn't have any bear encounters last night! Out here it's coyotes. One got one of my outdoor kitties last week. I was very upset, it's unsettling to think that we have coyotoes roaming the neighborhood at night.

ube quilting 06-23-2015 12:43 PM

So sorry to hear this happened to your kitty. We have coyotes too, but they are as rare as the bears are. Sad but it is part of the world we live in.
peace