Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Round Robin July to December 2016 (deadline for sign-up July 30, 2016) >
  • Round Robin July to December 2016 (deadline for sign-up July 30, 2016)

• Round Robin July to December 2016 (deadline for sign-up July 30, 2016)

Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 AM

Deadline to private message me = July 30.
    Let’s go!!
    1. Givio
    2. Ripped On Scotch
    3. maryb119
    4. Vovoa
    5. TwinRiverFarm
    6. frustratedquilter40
    7. Lv2sew2011
    8. mim
    9. GracefulAnn
    10. b.zang

We will do two groups. We also have Kassaundra and oldcatlady who will join providing they feel they will have enough time for each round. :-) So! This is great! Please, everyone, add pictures to our thread, make sure you have any instructions and/or extra fabric ready to go with your center square, and make your plan for getting the package in the mail next week. Saturday after midnight/Sunday I'll pass you addresses by private message.
    Old 07-29-2016, 10:08 AM

I agree that we need to keep to the schedule. For the two of you on either end of me (mailing to and receiving from), mail typically takes a minimum of 7 days across the border. Those are non-sewing or planning days which can stretch longer at times. We'll have to see what the times are like. Likewise, we don't want tops mailed early and piling up on someone, either.

My experience with round robins is that the center needs to sit on the design wall for a few days as inspiration percolates. Colours are always different from pictures. I always take the top with me when I go shopping for fabric to get the right match. By the way, my LQS is an hour-and-a-half one way. Not a casual trip.

Looking forward to this adventure with you folks. I'm off now for one last bit to make my center. I love seeing all the pictures and watching the quilts grow.

Originally Posted by givio
    fq40, Excellent idea! I would like to agree to the idea that there will be no late mailing-- if the round cannot be completed, mail without it. That's a great idea!
    maryb, thanks for your comments.
    b.zang, Since you are not in the States, it's a good question about if the quilt top takes extra time to arrive. You might like to 'sew ahead' by watching what is happening through pictures, so you don't have to do it all when the quilt top arrives. If we find in the first round that the mail is very slow to you, we could add time to help you with that. Can we get some discussion about this situation?
    Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Have fun, can't wait to see the quilts grow... I'll wait for the row robin since I kinda have my heart set on a bookcase quilt for my daughter's boyfriend who is an author
    Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM

Do we have to stick with 6 inch borders for each round? The last round robin I was in, the first border was 3 inches to frame the center block or we had the option to turn it on point. The second round was again the option to turn on point or 5 inches. The next border was 6 inches, the next one was 7 inches with the final one 8 inches. I think by making to borders wider with each round, the proportion is better. Any thoughts?

Last edited by maryb119; 07-29-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    Old 07-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
    Do we have to stick with 6 inch borders for each round? The last round robin I was in, the first border was 3 inches to frame the center block or we had the option to turn it on point. The second round was again the option to turn on point or 5 inches. The next border was 6 inches, the next one was 7 inches with the final one 8 inches. I think bu making to borders wide with each round, the proportion is better. Any thoughts?
    This is a great idea! I am good with whatever the majority agrees upon
    Old 07-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Here is my center. I love the reds against the white, it makes me very happy and cheerful. I have no problem with any time frames decided upon, and I love the idea of mailing on even if life gets in the way. I was once in a round robin where all five quilts got stuck at the same person for a very long time, and it was disheartening.[ATTACH=CONFIG]554856[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_0571.jpg  
    Old 07-29-2016, 05:55 PM

Very pretty center, TwinRiverFarm. It will be fun to work.on.
    Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 PM

TRF, I'd be so happy to see it continue red and white as that's such a classic. But! We will see what others decide to add.
    Maryb, I like the pictures shared of past Round Robins, and liked the option of setting the center on point. I'd like to keep it an option, as it might be intimidating to a new quilter, whereas an ordinary border on all sides might feel more in someone's comfort zone. I have no idea how much sewing ability each of us has. I think it's a good idea, and let's keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing it. I also think that various sizes of borders is a nice idea too, although getting larger with each border will also increase the time it will take to make them-- especially because they will already take longer simply because they have a larger length to span.
    Old 07-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Well, I'm good with what the majority decides. I also have always started with a 3" boarder and they got larger with each round. But, I am good with either one!
    Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by givio
    TRF, I'd be so happy to see it continue red and white as that's such a classic. But! We will see what others decide to add.
    Maryb, I like the pictures shared of past Round Robins, and liked the option of setting the center on point. I'd like to keep it an option, as it might be intimidating to a new quilter, whereas an ordinary border on all sides might feel more in someone's comfort zone. I have no idea how much sewing ability each of us has. I think it's a good idea, and let's keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing it. I also think that various sizes of borders is a nice idea too, although getting larger with each border will also increase the time it will take to make them-- especially because they will already take longer simply because they have a larger length to span.
    You can go to Archives at the bottom of this page and look in member swaps and round robin section to see pictures of all the finished round robins. I was in IRR 111 group 9 traveling threads. There were 14 groups in this round robin so there are plenty of pictures to see. There is also a list of rules that we followed. I hope that helps.

Not very many centers were set on point. It was just an option...not required at all. Also it was allowed only on the first 2 rounds. After that, we just added borders.

My group is on page 3 and is number 689. There are lots of other round robin groups to look at as well.

Last edited by maryb119; 07-30-2016 at 04:39 AM.