Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Row Robin 2011  group 3  - *3's a Charm* >
  • Row Robin 2011 group 3 - *3's a Charm*

• Row Robin 2011 group 3 - *3's a Charm*

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

I have 2 listings of fabric for sale on this board, if anyone is interested.
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare
    Originally Posted by Mariah
    I thought your row was beautiful. You probably remember that I was envious of those Blue Flowers.
    All of the rowquilts I have seen from guild, and the ones from the quilt board all had seperate blocks. So, that is why I am doing seperate blocks.
    We have learned in guild that what we do and how we do it in quilting is an individual thing. It doesn't have to be a certain way. What we like is ours; it is a keepsake of our thoughts and ideas of this time. Mine will have 5 blocks, as it stands now.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you like it, that is all that is important.
    Mariah.
    Mine are all separate blocks.
    Mine are separate blocks too, but I don't feel that it limits me to doing the same thing with other rows unless the person I am doing the row for prefers the row to be seperate blocks.
    We all might want to specify that to each other on this thread, so we know our preferences.
    In fact, if you will forgive me for being 'flaky', the idea of a row like Sherry's appeals to me,
    so I want to release all of you from 'having' to make the rows individual blocks and ' having to have' the blocks to all be in the shape of stars.
    After seeing what others are doing and reconsidering what's important to me, I would rather to let you all to have more freedom with my rows.
    So feel free to do what feels good and I will be very pleased.
    Promise I won't change my mind back.
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roseysue
    Originally Posted by ssnare
    Originally Posted by Mariah
    I thought your row was beautiful. You probably remember that I was envious of those Blue Flowers.
    All of the rowquilts I have seen from guild, and the ones from the quilt board all had seperate blocks. So, that is why I am doing seperate blocks.
    We have learned in guild that what we do and how we do it in quilting is an individual thing. It doesn't have to be a certain way. What we like is ours; it is a keepsake of our thoughts and ideas of this time. Mine will have 5 blocks, as it stands now.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you like it, that is all that is important.
    Mariah.
    Mine are all separate blocks.
    Mine are separate blocks too, but I don't feel that it limits me to doing the same thing with other rows unless the person I am doing the row for prefers the row to be seperate blocks.
    We all might want to specify that to each other on this thread, so we know our preferences.
    In fact, if you will forgive me for being 'flaky', the idea of a row like Sherry's appeals to me,
    so I want to release all of you from 'having' to make the rows individual blocks and ' having to have' the blocks to all be in the shape of stars.
    After seeing what others are doing and reconsidering what's important to me, I would rather to let you all to have more freedom with my rows.
    So feel free to do what feels good and I will be very pleased.
    Promise I won't change my mind back.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement.
    Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM

My understanding from someone who was in a row robin on the quilt board said that some of those points just made should go into our journals which we pass along to others. Suggestions which will give continuity, individualism, and any special effects we might want.
    I was confused on the "journal," but it is becoming more clear as time goes on. However, I still have questions about the journal.
    I can't help but think that where we all have become acquainted and want to please each other with our work, that we will all be proud of our row robin quilt when it is completed next Fall.
    Mariah.
    Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

I like the idea of being able to design all rows as we feel the quilt needs. Sometimes a row of pieced blocks is just the thing and other times you might want to vary techniques.
    I am more than willing to celebrate birthdays in June.
    Still deciding on fabric/color choice. I have 3 piles around my "nest" chair now and have to narrow it down soon.
    Hope everyone is having a good day (I won high at canasta this afternoon-hooray) Carol
    Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM

It is good to be talking about the Journal since I, too would like to know a little more about it's intended content, although I can imagine what it is for - to keep a journal of one's thoughts and feelings and ideas that come up while doing the row that they presently are working on.
    Does that make any sense?
    Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM

Well that, and when the new rows start, my understanding from my friend was that to pass to the person next in line, what you think would be the best way to do that row. That is just an opinion, tho.
    I will contact her and see what else the journal should cover. She is back in a row now, and didn't realize it until earlier last week.
    It won't be long until I post a picture of blocks 1 and 2.
    Mariah.
    Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

First, the journal tells about yourself, include a picture if you like, then add specifics about your row. State if you want something , example: I would like bigger flowers rather than small print. I do not want any cats in my rows. I want my row to be in the middle, etc. Send the journal with your row.

Then as your row goes around, so does your journal. Your journal accompanies your row. The next person reads your information and adds information about herself. She adds the name of the blocks she worked on for your row and possibly what materials she used. She also adds her ideas for your quilt that she had while she was working on your row. She might add the date. The ideas are for you if you want to use them.

Each person adds to your journal what they want to add. When you get your rows back, you have a personal journal for you to keep with your quilt, that has everyone else's info and ideas to keep. I am going to put my name, address, phone, email. If I have a certain feeling about your row that I want to say, I will add that.

You do not have to send a journal if you do not want to. You can add whatever you want to a journal. I personally would like everyone to add to my journal. Make this what you want it to be. There are no set rules. If you want to include a swatch of the material you used or where you got the material you used from, do that, others may want to use something you used in the row you did for someone.

Does this help? If you still have questions, ask.
    Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks, that gives me a real good idea of what goes in a journal. It will be a really nice keepsake. I can that since we are just a group of 5 and are together for a year,that we really have the opportunity to really get to know each other.
    I like that.
    Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM

And yes, Roseysue, a journal can have a person's thoughts, feelings, and ideas about the row as they work on each row. I think it will be a nice keepsake. Everyone does not have to do this, just like the signature blocks, if you do not want to include them on your quilt, don't send them with your row.

I would think that everyone would want a label. I am sending all of the above with my row: 1 journal, 1 label, and making 5 signature blocks. I will sign all the signature blocks and keep one for myself. When each person gets my row, they will keep one of my signature blocks. So , when I get my row back , I will get my journal and my label back. Hopefully, I will receive 4 other signature blocks. We will see.