Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Row Robin 2011  group 3  - *3's a Charm* >
  • Row Robin 2011 group 3 - *3's a Charm*

• Row Robin 2011 group 3 - *3's a Charm*

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Fine with whatever you post Mariah. Carol
    Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Carol. I have to take the pictures, first!
    I have been studying your row with Sherry's, and have some ideas for color.
    Since there is lots of color with the Reds and oranges in yours, and Blues in Sherry's, I think to add balance it would be good to go to the Golds and Greens.
    You mentioned you liked flowers. Can you tell me what flowers you especially like? There are hundreds of them out there, in every size and shape. So, if you can give me some ideas on that, and if you can tell me about the Greens and Golds to concentrate on , I can be developing from there.
    It is for sure I am growing weary of working on this row. I love it, but just need something new!!
    Take care.
    M.
    Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah
    magic sizing is a starch-like product which is used to spray fabric to give it a nice, crisp feel and look. It is very cheap; less than a dollar, and lasts a very long time.
    I learned in guild that to spray with it gives it the feel of fabric before it is rinsed/washed. It replaces the "sizing" which all fabrics, cottons especially has when still on the bolt.
    We wash fabric before cutting to be sure the colors don't run-Reds and Blue, Black, especially. I like using it because it makes things have a great feel, and they look so crisp.
    Don't buy anything that says "spray starch" as some of the ingredients in it attract bugs and will eat holes in fabric.
    You might want to experiment with it. Let me know how you like it.
    M.
    Does this product have a scent, because I can not use anything with a scent or perfume? It causes too many allergic reactions and starts the asthma to kick in.
    You can post whatever pictures you want to Martha.
    Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM

I saw your question about having a smell. No, I have never noticed any, and I didn't notice any when I went to check it.
    If you try it out, sometimes you have to spray it 2-3 times to get much feel. I am sure it is heavy on water.
    Thanks everyone for answering my request on posting. Have to take the pictures first!
    M.
    Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Mariah - Greens & golds sound great. I just love flowers - my very favortie is the yellow peace rose but irises are especially lovely and gosh I guess I just like them all. So whatever you go with will be fine.
    Sherry - Just got back from Post Office sending Sandy's row of penguins and my gingerbreadman off to you. Supposed delivery is on Wed.
    Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Carol, That sounds great. When my guild friends stopped by for a meeting and I showed them your row and Sherry's addition to it, and Sherry's row and my pieces of her row to ad to it, they suggested that I stay with soft, subdued colors, since there is a lot of color with the kites, fans, and your row of a lot of color.
    I also thought a lot about your row and what I wanted to do. I thought of soft, subdued colors to give harmony and balance to your rows.
    So, I am going to start on your row just as soon as I finish Sherry's. Before starting hers, I was waiting for an order from a quilt shop where I had bought fabric of big flowers. One of the blocks I want to make for your row is a choice of 2: one, the Flower Basket Block, which is a very old pattern, and the other is a Tulip from a Chinese Website. I probably can't get both done, since I am not the fastest quilter in the town. You think and let me know which you think you would like. The first one is just a basket, and the triangles sitting in it are the flowers. I would make the flowers of Peach, soft Orange, Gold, Pink, ect.
    If you think the tulip, it is shown in Red, but could be any color.
    That is as far as I have gotten on what I will do with your row. Looking forward to it~
    Martha/Mariah.
    Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM

I don't have to think very long - I would like the tulip please. Carol
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Okay; now that I did have the opportunity to give a choice, since I wanted to make the flower basket for Sherry's row, but time was running out for me, you can actually tell me what color you would like.
    Since there is quite a bit of color in the 2 rows so far, if the tulip is made the focal point of your row, and the rest of the row is concentrated on more subdued colors, if you say "Red," I can make it so it isn't over powering with the other colors what they would be.
    You can let me know in a week or 2. Probably the rest of the blocks will be blocks of flowers.
    Mariah
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Cross Stitch Picture I did in 1980's.IMG 1883
    Oil Painting I did earlier.IMG1884
    Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM

1. Crossstitch Picture I did several years ago.IMG1883

2. Oil Painting done several years ago.IMG1884