Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending >
  • Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

• Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    If you are a newbie then you absolutely MUST join in the fun.....that way I won't be the only newbie!!! LOL :D I am VERY new to quilting. Took my first class in July but have found that everyone on the board is SO helpful that the swaps really are not a problem at all. Maybe you and I could be "newbie buddies" and bounce ideas off one another :D It will be fine so send that PM now! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
    I so want to take part in this. BUT I am scared! I don't want to mess up someone elses beautiful work. Should I make sure that I am at a certain skill level before entering one of these? If you say yes that's ok. I will just keep practicing.
    If you say any skill level then I have a couple of questions...
    1.Will I know what is coming next? ie. the next one likes green snow flakes. I don't have any fabric like that so I will have to buy. Will I know in Feb that this is coming to me in April? Will I be able to plan ahead?
    2. I start the quilt off. I make my own first row and then send it on for others to add to it? Right
    I'm sorry if this is a goofy question. If you say the remedial are not allowed I will understand! LOL! :oops:
    I am a newbie too. I just started in July also. I want to be a "newbie buddy". I have a question. If the quilting books say a block is 12", how do you figure out what to cut if you want the block to be 12 1/2" block. I know you add 1/4" all the way around, but I do not know how you figure the different cut pieces to make the block 12 1/2" square. What if my row is off 1/4"? Will I die?

:lol:
    Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM

More than likely the book means a 12 inch FINISHED block which would be a 12 1/2 inch block before you started sewing it. But....wait and see what the more experienced folks say :D And welcome Newbie from another newbie :D

Originally Posted by ssnare
    If you are a newbie then you absolutely MUST join in the fun.....that way I won't be the only newbie!!! LOL :D I am VERY new to quilting. Took my first class in July but have found that everyone on the board is SO helpful that the swaps really are not a problem at all. Maybe you and I could be "newbie buddies" and bounce ideas off one another :D It will be fine so send that PM now! :thumbup:

I so want to take part in this. BUT I am scared! I don't want to mess up someone elses beautiful work. Should I make sure that I am at a certain skill level before entering one of these? If you say yes that's ok. I will just keep practicing.
    1.Will I know what is coming next? ie. the next one likes green snow flakes. I don't have any fabric like that so I will have to buy. Will I know in Feb that this is coming to me in April? Will I be able to plan ahead?
    2. I start the quilt off. I make my own first row and then send it on for others to add to it? Right
    I'm sorry if this is a goofy question. If you say the remedial are not allowed I will understand! LOL! :oops:
    I am a newbie too. I just started in July also. I want to be a "newbie buddy". I have a question. If the quilting books say a block is 12", how do you figure out what to cut if you want the block to be 12 1/2" block. I know you add 1/4" all the way around, but I do not know how you figure the different cut pieces to make the block 12 1/2" square. What if my row is off 1/4"? Will I die?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:33 AM

Hi Sherry,
    Generally most books give the finished block dimensions so the cutting instructions "usually" already allot for the seam allowance so that the unfinished block will be a half inch larger than the finished block.
    A great resource is quilterscache.com They have a lot of wonderful blocks and you can choose by size.
    Hugs
    April
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM

if you have found a 12" block that you think you would go with, why don't you make a 'trial' block? this way you will know exactly how big the finished block is. if you're not happy with it, then it can become a cushion cover lol...
    love jacquie xxxxx
    Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM

How do you spell ADDICTION? R - O - W R - O - B - I - N
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally Posted by RNUNU
    I think .... I'm anxious and excited about getting started with Row Robin 2011. You know what ... I know I'm anxious, because I've been working on my row all evening and since it is now 12:45AM, I think it's time for me to go to bed!
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Happy Turkey Day to all of you...:)
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by pattis47

I think .... I'm anxious and excited about getting started with Row Robin 2011. You know what ... I know I'm anxious, because I've been working on my row all evening and since it is now 12:45AM, I think it's time for me to go to bed!
    Hmmmm...well, Missy, since I am acquainted with you, what if I told you I have mine done!
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Mine is completed also. Addicted, Obsessed, how many other adjectives are there for us?

Originally Posted by TFquilter

Hmmmm...well, Missy, since I am acquainted with you, what if I told you I have mine done!
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Mine is completed also. Addicted, Obsessed, how many other adjectives are there for us?

Originally Posted by TFquilter

Well all I can say at the moment is ...... "I hate those kind of people who just "LOVE" to show off"!

TFquilter: You planning to Show-N-Tell at the next Spuds - "Get-2-Gether"?
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM

i've drawn mine on graph paper, and have all the templates & patterns made, if that's anything like??
    lol...
    some definite addict's floating around here!!! lol...

i must admit, i'm on here *several times a day catching up!!

love jacquie xxxxxx
    (* not admitting to how many times 'several' equates to!!!)