Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Row  Robin - Signup Closed >
  • Row Robin - Signup Closed

• Row Robin - Signup Closed

Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
    Originally Posted by Gramakitten
    You can cut a 12 in block in half and it will be 6". I have a calendar that has a lot of six in blocks in it. Also I have a couple of foundation pieced books that have lots. It is easy to draft any 9 patch block into a six in block. PM me if you need more info. Kathi
    So let's say the pattern calls for a 4 1/2" piece I would cut 2 1/2" instead? And do that for all the pieces in the block?
    Mish, If it calls for a 4 1/2" piece, you would cut it 2 1/4". If you find a specific block you like that you want to reduce in size, let us know and we'll work through it here. Everyone on the board is really good about helping.
    Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 AM

If you break a nine patch block down it is 3 4" pieces across. When you cut it down it will be 3 2 in pieces across, THEN you add seam allowance to the piece. So it would be 3 2 1/2 " that makes 6 1/2 across that is a 6 " finished. Does that make sense?
    Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Okay...I'll look for another block and then ask you wonderful ladies for help.

Thank you :lol:
    Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
    You can cut a 12 in block in half and it will be 6". I have a calendar that has a lot of six in blocks in it. Also I have a couple of foundation pieced books that have lots. It is easy to draft any 9 patch block into a six in block. PM me if you need more info. Kathi
    So let's say the pattern calls for a 4 1/2" piece I would cut 2 1/2" instead? And do that for all the pieces in the block?
    Mish, If it calls for a 4 1/2" piece, you would cut it 2 1/4". If you find a specific block you like that you want to reduce in size, let us know and we'll work through it here. Everyone on the board is really good about helping.
    Actually it is not reduced exactly in half. Remember the seam allowance. For a cut 4-1/2" block, you must eliminate the 1/2" which is the seam allowance. Then half the 4" that remains to 2" AND put the seam allowance back on for a 2-1/2" cut square. If you have a cut 3-1/2" block on a 12-1/2" unfinished block, you'd take out the 1/2" seam allowance, divide the 3" in half to 1-1/2", put back the seam allowance, so you would then cut the square 2". Since each cut square has 1/2" seam allowance, cutting it with just 1/4" seam allowance would be too small. If you have a question about how to cut for a half square triangle, PM me and I'll give you the detailed formula.
    Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Belles
    Originally Posted by JudyG
    Actually it is not reduced exactly in half. Remember the seam allowance. For a cut 4-1/2" block, you must eliminate the 1/2" which is the seam allowance. Then half the 4" that remains to 2" AND put the seam allowance back on for a 2-1/2" cut square. If you have a cut 3-1/2" block on a 12-1/2" unfinished block, you'd take out the 1/2" seam allowance, divide the 3" in half to 1-1/2", put back the seam allowance, so you would then cut the square 2". Since each cut square has 1/2" seam allowance, cutting it with just 1/4" seam allowance would be too small. If you have a question about how to cut for a half square triangle, PM me and I'll give you the detailed formula.
    You are absolutely right, Belles. I apologize, Mish, my brain was not quite working correctly. :oops: :oops: Good thing we have lots of people on this board who can catch those types of errors.
    Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM

You ladies are the BESTEST!!!
    Old 06-15-2010, 02:18 PM

I have a wonderful book that has all size blocks in it and very simple instructions to follow for each. Its called "Around the Block with Judy Hopkins" 200 Rotary Cut Blocks in 6 sizes. You can get a copy on Ebay or from Amazon. She has come out with 2 other books on the same topic since this one. I just ordered both. I pull all my designs for blocks from this book.
    Old 06-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    I have a wonderful book that has all size blocks in it and very simple instructions to follow for each. Its called "Around the Block with Judy Hopkins" 200 Rotary Cut Blocks in 6 sizes. You can get a copy on Ebay or from Amazon. She has come out with 2 other books on the same topic since this one. I just ordered both. I pull all my designs for blocks from this book.
    Thank you Kathy, I just ordered it.
    Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    Kerri, my row is in the mail! let me know when you get it so I know how long it takes to go international for you.
    I recieved it tuesday but have been having major internet problems :( Also taking care of an abandoned kitten.... beautiful will be doing it this weekend :)
    Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Whether it matches or not i have to agree i just appreciate knowing that there is someone out there that wants to contribute to a quilt.....And anyone that wants to take time to post pics of progress thats fine too......I have no patience LOL.