Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

• September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    I was asked to post this for my Husband as he doesn't know how to type and hes just flat out too excited to hen peck on the keyboard.
    This was his first time to join in the Secret Pal Swap and he was all excited to join us even if he doesn't sew he says. For those of you that doesn't know he is a disabled Veteran that suffers from brain damage along with other medical problems but is the sweetest man you will ever know.
    When he decided to do the swap, he filled out his information just like the rest of us have but in his he put some odd stuff in it, like what does he collect...he put SOCKS!!! Just too funny.
    Today, he received his package from The one and only LORI PEERCY. Woohoo!!! And she made him up one fantastic package. One of his hobbies is fishing. And Lori did great. She also likes to fish, so they have that in common. So this is what she sent to him..There was a yellow envelope sorta rolled up inside a ziplock bag. And he picks it up and says she sent me a rain jacket how cool. So anyways as I was laying out the stuff to take a picture of, I went to take the "rain jacket" out of the ziploc to lay out and it was the Amish Bread. LOL And he didn't want me to take the "raincoat" out of the bag. But I did anyways and found it NOT to be a rainjacket but the Amish Bread she made. Just think, If I hadn't have taken it out of the baggie...he would have had moldy bread before long. Geez LOL.

fishing bobbers, fish hooks, milk duds, worms, fishing lure bells, amish bread that she made and he flat out told me I COULDNT HAVE ANY. fabric post card, pens,sticky notes, a jar of honey, go fishing sign, animal skin pins 2 Ottumwa Courier newspapers and a box of flavored iced tea mix packets. And she sent a lap quilt in Red, Whites and Blues that she made that she posted recently on the board.
    I wish that we were able to do a video on here sometimes when opening packages and seeing the process and excitement that goes along with it.
    Lori, Charles says THANK YOU very very much and that you did a fantastic job. He says he never expected all that you put in it. He was like a kid on Christmas morning as you can see by how the box was literally torn open LOL.
    He says his most favorite thing in the box was the lap quilt that Lori made for him. He has removed his blanket off the couch and has replaced it with the one from Lori. :) And second is all the fishing lures. He says someone that fishes can never have enough lures. :) So Thank you Thank you Lori for making his day.
    made me excited just reading and looking at the awesome photos! Perfect package! :thumbup:
    Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
    In my defense I got the blocks in a red white and blue block swap and cost me nothing. The backing was a table cloth I bought on clearance at walmart for $2.25 and I did not use all of it.The inside of the lap quilt was a sheet I purchased at Goodwill for $1.00
    The honey was purchased with farmer market coupons that cost me nothing. The fishing tackle came out of my tackle box and I made the amish friesndship bread myself. The gone fishing sign cost 99 cents and the candy was $1 a box. The pens were from Dollar Tree and cost you guesssed it a dollar. I already had the sticky note pad and the iced teas was 99 cents. You do the math. There are ways to be creative when sending a package.
    Well done and creative Lori! With me I am one of those people who cannot pass up any good deal. I love to shop clearance, thrift stores, garage sales and dumpsters sometimes! LOL (no I will not send out anyone anything from a dumpster.) I make sure I stick to the 10 dollar rule, right now I have some extra fabrics I amjust not going to use and when I see that one of my sp's need that fabric if I have it I send it, if not then I try to make them something or add in something else I pick up on their posts. I definitely read just about everything my sp posts to get a good feel as to who that person is. But then this is only my third swap, so far so good.
    Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM

My SP's package is on its way. I am so sorry SP to be mailing at the last minute. That was not my plan but it is on its way and you should get it Sat or Monday at the latest! I don't see you post on here but if you are lurking your screen name is a song my brother used to sing to me. hint....hint...:)
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Absolutely awesome packages have been sent today.

Mary, sorry about the passing of your BIL, may he rest in peace.

Misty Mary, that is a beautiful wall hanging. And I know what you mean about the $10 limit. I don't have a big stash like most people do, so pulling from it is not an option, however, I do have a SP stash box, where i put finds I buy on sale or acquire but know I won't use. I have been participating in this swap since July of 2010, maybe missed a month or two, and I was never disappointed in any of the packages I received; some of them had a lot more than others, but they all contained things in favorite colors, fabrics, etc. So to me, as long as I read my SP's information and send relevant things that are at least $10 worth, I don't feel guilty and you shouldn't..it is not a competition. Plus, that wall hanging there on its own is worth a lot more than $10.

And I am not joining the bench until I pick my mail up tomorrow and see what's in it :XD: although I'd love some s'mores.
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
    Originally Posted by Ladybug 1938
    Originally Posted by walk-n-roll
    Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Originally Posted by Ladybug 1938
    While sitting on the bench waiting for my package I made some potato ( Polish) dumplings, now wish I had a nice Chicken or Beef stock to put them in, also making a Raspberry/Strawberry
    Cream pie for the hubby... Nice and cool on our warm days...
    Can you please make some pierogi? Store bought aren't the same as my mother's ... and hers weren't the same as my grandmother's!
    Looks like I am still on the Bench , darn, no package today, bet I will be one of the last to receive theirs... Picked up some Fresh and smoked Polish Kielbasa today so will bring that to our lunch along with the Potato dumplings, is someone bring a chicken soup that needs dumplings, if not we can fry them up in butter..mmmmmmmm

Ever had them with dries cottage cheese.....which they have stopped selling here.

I will be glad to bring the pierogi. My Slovak Baba taught me to make them like she learned in Austria-Hungary. What kind of filling do you prefer?
    I like both a saurkraut and potato and cheese and potato, use to make them for my kids but just hubby and me right now retired and no kids living near us, why not ship me some..LOL
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by candi
    Absolutely awesome packages have been sent today.

Mary, sorry about the passing of your BIL, may he rest in peace.

Misty Mary, that is a beautiful wall hanging. And I know what you mean about the $10 limit. I don't have a big stash like most people do, so pulling from it is not an option, however, I do have a SP stash box, where i put finds I buy on sale or acquire but know I won't use. I have been participating in this swap since July of 2010, maybe missed a month or two, and I was never disappointed in any of the packages I received; some of them had a lot more than others, but they all contained things in favorite colors, fabrics, etc. So to me, as long as I read my SP's information and send relevant things that are at least $10 worth, I don't feel guilty and you shouldn't..it is not a competition. Plus, that wall hanging there on its own is worth a lot more than $10.

And I am not joining the bench until I pick my mail up tomorrow and see what's in it :XD: although I'd love some s'mores.
    Heck I already got my package so I'm going to the bench just so I can have all of the goodies and keep them company.
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 PM

In my defense I got the blocks in a red white and blue block swap and cost me nothing. The backing was a table cloth I bought on clearance at walmart for $2.25 and I did not use all of it.The inside of the lap quilt was a sheet I purchased at Goodwill for $1.00
    The honey was purchased with farmer market coupons that cost me nothing. The fishing tackle came out of my tackle box and I made the amish friesndship bread myself. The gone fishing sign cost 99 cents and the candy was $1 a box. The pens were from Dollar Tree and cost you guesssed it a dollar. I already had the sticky note pad and the iced teas was 99 cents. You do the math. There are ways to be creative when sending a package.

I wasn't being critical of you. I was making a general statement about several pictures that I have seen already. Please don't think I was meaning it for one person in particular.
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Wow Lori..I would have never thought to use an old sheet for the inside, but that would definately make them a light weight lap blanket to take off the early morning chill when you get up. I will remember this. I have a bunch of twin and double and even king sheets now I know what I can use them for.
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Moedeenie
    Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    For a first attempt at digitizing, I am pretty happy with how my first design came out. There are definitely some things I will need to improve.

I sure hope my SP will like this little wall quilt as much as she LOVES candy corns!

The package is in the mail today... hopefully soon to zoom her way!
    What a beautiful wall quilt Misty Marie!...Any chance this beauty is coming my way????
    Nope... it is on its way to the state my dh has spent the last month in... finishing up his NAVY retirement paperwork. The same state that had a major power outage last week!
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Moedeenie
    For a first attempt at digitizing, I am pretty happy with how my first design came out. There are definitely some things I will need to improve.

I sure hope my SP will like this little wall quilt as much as she LOVES candy corns!

The package is in the mail today... hopefully soon to zoom her way!
    What a beautiful wall quilt Misty Marie!...Any chance this beauty is coming my way????
    Nope... it is on its way to the state my dh has spent the last month in... finishing up his NAVY retirement paperwork. The same state that had a major power outage last week!
    Hmmm.... California? Arizona?