Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

• September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Well, as a newbie, I have to admit that I was shocked originally at what appeared to be a lot of whining and complaining. Being that this is my first swap, and wanting it to be just right, I felt a lot of pressure to "get it right".
    Being curious about why so many were upset, I asked and some explained that it was all in humor and that nobody is really upset.
    Still, not my kind of humor, but to each his own. It's a bummer that it hurt someone's feelings though.

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    sharon you are not the only one that has taken offense at the bantering as others have posted something similar to your sentiments before. i think that is one of the reasons that i read less and less of the chatter because after all it is a gift, so whenever it comes it should be welcome. but i do realize that humor is relative and of an individual taste and not all will find some of what's said humorous. soooo... with that said, just take in (the chatter) what you will and ignore what you want to.

that's my thoughts and i am sticking to them.

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    ...So, I apologize if the commenters were just bantering and I did not recognize it. And that's my 1 cent worth on the topic of tardiness. I hope I do not have to eat humble pie...but if I am wrong, I will gladly do so.
    Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 PM

As fact I had to report some migraines to my Neurologist the other day. I was in bed for two days with one, because for my seizures I have been having lately.

jeez juli are we cosmic malady sisters (allergies, popping knees; didya also have migraines?) and just don't know it? i have two bad knees that i acquired during my college days when i played team volleyball. yes i have torn cartilage, had knee poppping problems, knees locking on me, couldn't walk up stairs without a mishap for several years. i visited 3 ortho surgeons, one in sports medicine, and 2 told me to have surgery. the 3rd doctor (sports med) told me that i would eventually need surgery but he recommended knee muscle strenghtening exercises to stabilize my knees.

the exercises have helped me the last 25 yrs. no surgery for me yet, no knees popping outta place, no stair mishaps. here's to satifying news at your doctor's visit.

Originally Posted by Juli
    I just got back from the Doctor. I have to go have a scan done on my knee from when it popped last month. Its still giving my problems to where I can hardly walk sometimes or it will just lock on me. He thinks I have tore some cartiledge in my knee. But I can't get into until the 27th.
    Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 PM

I am looking for a label to put on it.

juli can one gain weigh just by looking at that chocolate quilt? :-) oh my. did you name it? it looks nice.

Originally Posted by Juli
    I finally got my quilt back from the quilter.
    Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JSNOMORE
    No bench sitting for me this month. I got a fabulous package from Kriscraft99. She sent a Fons and Porter book "quilters complete guide" Book covers,red and yellow fabric ,book markers. My favorite candy Twizzlers. A pincushion pattern,needles.She even sent goodies for my furbabies. And last but definately not least is a gorgeous stained glass pumkin sun catcher and it was wrapped in the CUTEST mug rug. Thank you so much Kris. Everything was wonderful.
    Love the adorable mug rug - is it embroidered?
    Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 PM

It wanted to visit Elvis at Graceland. Why else would it go to Memphis? LOL
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM

We were on our way home tonight and the boys were asking where Grandma was. My Dad told them: She was on a quilting retreat and she was camping with ALL ladies. Well little 3 year old Owen didn't hear him quite right and goes: She's camping with OLD ladies?
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 PM

What are English Flake bars? I think I want to try some. Do they sell them in the states?
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM

There are many reasons for mailing late and I have a list here of people who have sent me a pm explaining why and that is all that I ask. If you can not mail on time let me know so I can let your sp know! If anyone has a problem I have asked in the past that they send pm to me and not talk about it on the thread!! This is for FUN and I want to keep it that way. If you have a problem I am saying it again pm ME and do not post on the thread. Bench sitting and bringing treats are fun and I see no problem with that. You never know why someone mails late and if they tell me i can pass on the information.
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 PM

kim humor truly is relative and to those who give and receive the banter as such, are enjoying it. to those of us who may have a different sense of humor, i say just ignore it, hit the virtual mute button. don't let it effect your fun in this swap. there are many who participate in this swap but rarely post here and i was one of those. i posted more this month than i have since i have been participating. i have a really big virtual mute button. :-D

on another note there should never be any pressure to "get it right". you are preparing a gift for someone albeit someone you don't know. i always prepare my packages as one i would like to receive taking into consideration what info my sp listed on the template. i have my basic package at hand and try to add a coupla things from my sp's list. in my mind, every package i mail out is "just right". if my sp happens to receive something they cannot use, i am sure they will regift it or give to someone who can use it.

you see, everything is "just right"; it's all in the attitude you adopt. i hope you had enough fun in this swap to participate again.

mary

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Well, as a newbie, I have to admit that I was shocked originally at what appeared to be a lot of whining and complaining. Being that this is my first swap, and wanting it to be just right, I felt a lot of pressure to "get it right".
    Being curious about why so many were upset, I asked and some explained that it was all in humor and that nobody is really upset.
    Still, not my kind of humor, but to each his own. It's a bummer that it hurt someone's feelings though.

sharon you are not the only one that has taken offense at the bantering as others have posted something similar to your sentiments before. i think that is one of the reasons that i read less and less of the chatter because after all it is a gift, so whenever it comes it should be welcome. but i do realize that humor is relative and of an individual taste and not all will find some of what's said humorous. soooo... with that said, just take in (the chatter) what you will and ignore what you want to.

that's my thoughts and i am sticking to them.

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    ...So, I apologize if the commenters were just bantering and I did not recognize it. And that's my 1 cent worth on the topic of tardiness. I hope I do not have to eat humble pie...but if I am wrong, I will gladly do so.
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM

I recieved a wonderful package today from Mandie. Thank you so much! I love everything! She sent me a beautiful cup and saucer for having my tea on cold winter days! Lots of beautiful fabrics, a cute pattern, vanilla candle,body wash, yummy candy, an Oregon magnet( because that is where she is from!)I know I am forgetting things. I will be gone most of the weekend but will post pictures asap. :)
    Thanks again Mandie!