Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

• September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 PM

I think all the bench sitting and chatting is all in fun.
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Hi Mary,

I agree, it is relative. I just thought it was serious at first, and not humor. Lolol. Now that I understand most everyone is enjoying the banter,it's easier to digest, even though I'm not into participating. But obviously it's not always apparent that it's joking, and it's a bummer if someone gets their feelings hurt.

So far, this has been fun for me, and I do plan to participate again. I did exactly as you said, and tried to pack in my package, things that I would like. I hope my sp likes it, though I don't think she posts here. At least I haven't seen her yet.

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    kim humor truly is relative and to those who give and receive the banter as such, are enjoying it. to those of us who may have a different sense of humor, i say just ignore it, hit the virtual mute button. don't let it effect your fun in this swap. there are many who participate in this swap but rarely post here and i was one of those. i posted more this month than i have since i have been participating. i have a really big virtual mute button. :-D

on another note there should never be any pressure to "get it right". you are preparing a gift for someone albeit someone you don't know. i always prepare my packages as one i would like to receive taking into consideration what info my sp listed on the template. i have my basic package at hand and try to add a coupla things from my sp's list. in my mind, every package i mail out is "just right". if my sp happens to receive something they cannot use, i am sure they will regift it or give to someone who can use it.

you see, everything is "just right"; it's all in the attitude you adopt. i hope you had enough fun in this swap to participate again.

mary

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Well, as a newbie, I have to admit that I was shocked originally at what appeared to be a lot of whining and complaining. Being that this is my first swap, and wanting it to be just right, I felt a lot of pressure to "get it right".
    Being curious about why so many were upset, I asked and some explained that it was all in humor and that nobody is really upset.
    Still, not my kind of humor, but to each his own. It's a bummer that it hurt someone's feelings though.

sharon you are not the only one that has taken offense at the bantering as others have posted something similar to your sentiments before. i think that is one of the reasons that i read less and less of the chatter because after all it is a gift, so whenever it comes it should be welcome. but i do realize that humor is relative and of an individual taste and not all will find some of what's said humorous. soooo... with that said, just take in (the chatter) what you will and ignore what you want to.

that's my thoughts and i am sticking to them.

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    ...So, I apologize if the commenters were just bantering and I did not recognize it. And that's my 1 cent worth on the topic of tardiness. I hope I do not have to eat humble pie...but if I am wrong, I will gladly do so.
    Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM

She told me I go in for my scan on Aug 27.........I was like: I hope you meant Sept 27, because my knee keeps giving out on me, I keep falling over and keeps locking up on me and at times can hardly walk........I am not waiting a year for them to scan it! LOL!!!

jeez juli are we cosmic malady sisters (allergies, popping knees; didya also have migraines?) and just don't know it? i have two bad knees that i acquired during my college days when i played team volleyball. yes i have torn cartilage, had knee poppping problems, knees locking on me, couldn't walk up stairs without a mishap for several years. i visited 3 ortho surgeons, one in sports medicine, and 2 told me to have surgery. the 3rd doctor (sports med) told me that i would eventually need surgery but he recommended knee muscle strenghtening exercises to stabilize my knees.

the exercises have helped me the last 25 yrs. no surgery for me yet, no knees popping outta place, no stair mishaps. here's to satifying news at your doctor's visit.

Originally Posted by Juli
    I just got back from the Doctor. I have to go have a scan done on my knee from when it popped last month. Its still giving my problems to where I can hardly walk sometimes or it will just lock on me. He thinks I have tore some cartiledge in my knee. But I can't get into until the 27th.
    Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 PM

you may also benefit from strengthening your knee muscles. ask your ortho doctor about when you get a chance. i still have to be careful of quick turns & i still need to go to the gym to do knee exercises from time to time but my knees let me know when it time to go. good luck with it all. i know from experience it can be painful.

for the migraines i refuse to be on additional medicines so i manage them very well with homeopathic methods. research has loosely linked migraines in women to their hormones. well we wouldn't be women without those hormones so i told my migraines we had to learn to exist in this body together in peace & harmony. we have a tenuous but workable truce. :-)

She told me I go in for my scan on Aug 27.........I was like: I hope you meant Sept 27, because my knee keeps giving out on me, I keep falling over and keeps locking up on me and at times can hardly walk........I am not waiting a year for them to scan it! LOL!!!
    Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

It would seem that epidural is working as i am in MUCH less pain than before (knock on wood) they told me that it takes time to get he full effect but so far I am loving it!
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM

so glad to hear your epidural is working.
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Finally home, YAY! What a long long week!!

But I got home and waiting for me was a perfect package filled with handmade items just for me! MY SP, the talented Regina aka Reginalovesfabric, more then filled my one wish of someone making me something. I could not believe all the items. I got halloween fabrics, a wicked cute chicken pincushion, which I will come up with a name for as soon as her personality shows through! Metal templates! How cool is that?!! Yummy circus peanuts, and a TON of sugar daddys and butterscotch candies that were all tucked in with the red buttons in the gingerbread bag! A pink snap locking box with cute unique kitty scissors!, Oh now Regina I forgot to thank you for the handy pen sized tool, it has a flatend and a phillips! But I am going to have to admit now I want a cupcake, wonder were I could find one at Midnight? Well I definitely have no calories ones! A nice kitchen towel and matching notebook! OK enough, on with the photos!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-258000.jpe   attachment-258001.jpe   attachment-258002.jpe  
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 PM

My migraines are related to my seizures. I only have them after I have seizures, but they usually stick around around for a few days. I have had seizures for 15 years, since I was 18 years old (first one Christmas morning 1995) and started having migraines right afterwards. Lately for the past 14 months, I have been having seizures about 3 a week, so I have been having mirgraines on a regular basis for the past year. My seizures last for at least 10 minutes sometimes longer.

you may also benefit from strengthening your knee muscles. ask your ortho doctor about when you get a chance. i still have to be careful of quick turns & i still need to go to the gym to do knee exercises from time to time but my knees let me know when it time to go. good luck with it all. i know from experience it can be painful.

for the migraines i refuse to be on additional medicines so i manage them very well with homeopathic methods. research has loosely linked migraines in women to their hormones. well we wouldn't be women without those hormones so i told my migraines we had to learn to exist in this body together in peace & harmony. we have a tenuous but workable truce. :-)

Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM

Great package!!

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    Finally home, YAY! What a long long week!!

But I got home and waiting for me was a perfect package filled with handmade items just for me! MY SP, the talented Regina aka Reginalovesfabric, more then filled my one wish of someone making me something. I could not believe all the items. I got halloween fabrics, a wicked cute chicken pincushion, which I will come up with a name for as soon as her personality shows through! Metal templates! How cool is that?!! Yummy circus peanuts, and a TON of sugar daddys and butterscotch candies that were all tucked in with the red buttons in the gingerbread bag! A pink snap locking box with cute unique kitty scissors!, Oh now Regina I forgot to thank you for the handy pen sized tool, it has a flatend and a phillips! But I am going to have to admit now I want a cupcake, wonder were I could find one at Midnight? Well I definitely have no calories ones! A nice kitchen towel and matching notebook! OK enough, on with the photos!!
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM

OK, I posted my package then went through and read twelve pages of posts! I am glad to hear that Lori it went much more smoother then you anticipated, that is always scary when someone is sticking a needle in your spine, and I am glad it is working! YAY!!

I hope everyone gets feeling better soon! It was sad to see some of our quilting family got their feelings hurt from the banter. I have to admit I was laughing everyday at the antics and enjoyed the banter. I can definitely understand different points of view.

Only thing I know is that whatever anyone sends me, if it is handmade by you for me, I will LOVE it! Even if it is the only item sent! I do not have anyone in my life who likes to make things, other then myself, so I enjoy getting items that are made for me and this swap has definitely filled two of my needs. I love to give!! and I love handmade items! I sincerely hope that no one leaves this wonderful swap. It is only my third time, but I am having so much fun!