Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

• September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 AM

[quoteI grab one of my hair chop sticks and am using it for now. I can't believe I lost my purple thang. I've had it for almost 6 years and never lost it. I always keep it by my machine and never use it anywhere else. Those darn gremlins are at it again.[/quote]

I have a friend who keeps hers on a ribbon and wears it around her neck

:lol:
    Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 AM

everyone is getting very nice goodies!!

Candi are you home yet? You should tell Krystyna about my fun surprises....she won't hand over the address unless I hand over Miss Daisy!!
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    What a great package. Vanilla extract .... mmmmm.
    Super easy to make and much less expensive than what is available in the store! Wish I'd found out about it when DD's were home; I don't do much baking these days.

I was worried about shipping it, so swaddled it in bubble wrap and stuck it in a tin I had. Glad it made it there safely!
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 AM

recived one of my packages sat from chrys

thanh you
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-258557.jpe  
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 AM

sorry dlb post
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by mscupid804
    This is a great pkg, I love the fabric! Homemade vanilla? How did you do that?! Share that recipe!

:thumbup:
    It's super easy to make. Look for "make vanilla extract" or "homemade vanilla extract" and you'll get lots of links. The one I used came from a blog, but I couldn't tell you which one!

Read through a few and choose which you like best. They vary from 3 beans/cup to 10 beans/cup. For my batch, I used 6 beans per cup of vodka. Vanilla extract you buy is 2 fold, so I thought that using too few beans would leave me with a weaker product.

It takes a while - not the time you'll be busy, but the time to allow it to steep. I started mine in early October for Christmas giving. As I as going to use this as my "standard" gift. Family and close friends got a larger bottle, maybe in a basket with some other things. People I want to give a little something without breaking the bank got a smaller bottle.

There are lots of sources online for vanilla beans. I purchased mine from Beanilla, and the bottles from Specialty Bottle. Whatever you do, don't buy them at the grocery store - one bean costs a ridiculous amount! If I'd had small bottles on had to recycle, I'd have done that. You could also use jelly jars, but I wanted a pourable product.

Put the beans and vodka in a large, sterilized glass container. Shake 2x per day for the first couple of weeks, less often after than. In about 2 months, you'll have deliciousness awaiting!
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 AM

pretty fabric barefoot!
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Originally Posted by mscupid804
    This is a great pkg, I love the fabric! Homemade vanilla? How did you do that?! Share that recipe!

:thumbup:
    It's super easy to make. Look for "make vanilla extract" or "homemade vanilla extract" and you'll get lots of links. The one I used came from a blog, but I couldn't tell you which one!

Read through a few and choose which you like best. They vary from 3 beans/cup to 10 beans/cup. For my batch, I used 6 beans per cup of vodka. Vanilla extract you buy is 2 fold, so I thought that using too few beans would leave me with a weaker product.

It takes a while - not the time you'll be busy, but the time to allow it to steep. I started mine in early October for Christmas giving. As I as going to use this as my "standard" gift. Family and close friends got a larger bottle, maybe in a basket with some other things. People I want to give a little something without breaking the bank got a smaller bottle.

There are lots of sources online for vanilla beans. I purchased mine from Beanilla, and the bottles from Specialty Bottle. Whatever you do, don't buy them at the grocery store - one bean costs a ridiculous amount! If I'd had small bottles on had to recycle, I'd have done that. You could also use jelly jars, but I wanted a pourable product.

Put the beans and vodka in a large, sterilized glass container. Shake 2x per day for the first couple of weeks, less often after than. In about 2 months, you'll have deliciousness awaiting!
    Thank you! Didn't realize that was all there was to it!
    Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 AM

I was just looking at the pretty fabric in barefoot quilters package. I am just amazed at how much more beautiful fabric is now. When my friend, ddlbug, was here for a visit, we shopped at a store where the fabric went on forever. There was so much gorgeous fabric, I didn't even know where to start. I wanted to buy so much. I only spent about $80 but could have easily spent a thousand.....if only I had it. She will be back in March. I am starting to save for that shopping trip NOW! Happy Sunday Everyone.
    Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Oh - BTW - you can strain it through a coffee filter at the end to remove the little seeds, but I didn't. Instead, I just included a line on the label that the specks were vanilla seeds. Didn't want anybody to freak out !