Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

• September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 AM

Is it really you ? I too am abit fluffier. Some days it drives me nuts , others , I am what I am.
    Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    when I first saw your avatar , know this is funny, I thought it was YOU!
    Originally Posted by selfhunter
    You are too hard on yourself. you are a very pretty lady
    And you are very sweet! Now that I am no longer working as a singer, my hair is long and brown with streaks of grey and most often in braids. I figure since I am almost a senior citizen and a "creative" type (haha) I can adopt that eccentric old lady look. Maybe I'll glue some seashells on my glasses to round out the style! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    It IS me! About 40 years ago. These days I pretty much look the same. Just a bit "fluffier". :cry:
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    Is it really you ? I too am abit fluffier. Some days it drives me nuts , others , I am what I am.
    Yep. But you look gorgeous among the sunflowers. What a great photo.
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 AM
    Swap Hosts

OK. Here are the two New York Beauty blocks I made in class. And L :thumbup: :thumbup: K!!! The seams match up! Wheeee!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-259549.jpe  
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty's Mama
    The postman was at my door today! My lovely box of goodies, from Darlene, arrived this morning. The material is great and will go well with my stash. I love the magnetic notepads and am always needing new ones. I use the all cotton yarn for dishcloths so new skeins are always welcome. The tape and invisible thread are appreciated as well! Thanks, Darlene, for being a great Sept partner. (And, a very nice note was included!).
    nice fat quarters!!
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 AM

WOW!!!!
    OK. Here are the two New York Beauty blocks I made in class. And L :thumbup: :thumbup: K!!! The seams match up! Wheeee!
    :shock: I love it! Is this paper pieced ? I have yet to attempt paper piecing :shock:
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    Originally Posted by thomp116
    So Krystyna, when are we going to see a picture of your NY Beauty block? Sounds like a good class. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Yeah Krystyna we want to see your beauty.
    Not until I do a "perfect" block. I only have the two that I did in class and the tippy toe points are off a couple of the spires. Well, maybe I'll show you anyway since you already know what a knucklehead I was to miss three hours of the class!

Last night I went to my first guild meeting and Linda Hahn, instructor, was the guest speaker. This woman is my quilting alter ego! I just loved her attitude ~ and her quilts were marvelous!

I will have to make a post about it but here is her website http://www.froghollowdesigns.com/Fro...igns/Home.html

As for the guild meeting, it was the first for the year and they weren't too welcoming. I had to wait to be acknowledged at every single stop including the membership one. I ended up sitting with another woman who is new. We were asked to stand up as new members but no one asked our names! Oh well.

However ... they had a sale on books and magazines - 5 for $1 - so I got 5. At the end of the night, I saw there were a bunch left so ... $8 later I have a TON to share with my future SP's!
    It is really sad that a guild would treat new members this way. I have been hesitant to join one because of this very reason. At least you met one new friend and scored a great deal on books and magazines.

Just saw your blocks. Georgeous!
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 AM

Ok, I'm game. I always wonder what everyone looks like too. Whoa, that picture is huge! gotta work on it. Don't want to scare anyone away. LOL
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM

I just want to make a couple of comments regarding some earlier posts
    1-Lori I think you do a great job of hosting this swap!!!!
    a new swapper commented
    [Just an observation... certainly not to criticize... but I didn't do this swap for a while because it is hard to not feel guilty when I stick to the $10.00 rule, find a couple of things from my stash, and then mail off a package to my SP when I see so many others spend much more on their goodies and put much more in their packages than I can afford to do. I feel like I should apologize to my SP for not having enough goodies for her, even though I spent a little more than $10.00 and I added extra from my stash.]

some pages later a comment was made
    [and it is also disappointing when you put a lot of thought into your partner's package and get one that is extremely skimpy or full of stuff that indicates your partner clearly didn't read anything you wrote and just slapped something together.]

I think the opinon expressed in the second comment is exactly what the newbie was concerned about. If someone kept to the swap rule and did not spend more than $10 they should not be criticized for it, even if the receiver thinks their package is skimpy in comparison. And if they didn't include what one specifically asked for they shouldn't be critized either. For any reason from they couldn't find items mentioned-which to my understanding are to give the sender some ideas but not requirements-, to maybe they couldn't spend as much time shopping as others, or any number of other reasons; accept that they sent what they could. Yes some are more creative in finding things to include that they can do without going over the budget, and some are not. Some have more time to make hand made items and some do not.

The second thing--if you want to go sit on the bench 4 or 5 days before the shipping deadline, go ahead but please don't complain about not getting your package yet, just have fun being the first to get to the bench.

So if some of those participating don't like it the way it is set up then maybe you should start a different swap that has a 5 day mailing turn around and no budget amount, maybe you want a guideline that your package has to be bigger than the one sent before.

Some comments made maybe weren't meant like it seemed, or maybe they were; but that's the thing about written comments there is no tone or inflection to tell, and sometimes even that doesn't help.
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by fayzer
    Ok, I'm game. I always wonder what everyone looks like too. Whoa, that picture is huge! gotta work on it. Don't want to scare anyone away. LOL
    Faye, isn't that you in the pool?
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by starshine
    Some comments made maybe weren't meant like it seemed, or maybe they were; but that's the thing about written comments there is no tone or inflection to tell, and sometimes even that doesn't help.
    Sweetie, no one criticizes. Everyone thanks with good grace no matter what is in the package. Nope. No one here meant to have a mean tone. The swap is meant to be fun - but in joining you have an obligation to make sure it is fun for your partner too!

I know this was pointed at me. That's OK. Everyone knows I'm a horrible stinker. :XD: