Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >
  • September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

• September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM

I don't think Lori meant she was taking the part out of the old form (or the new one) about any allergies. I understood her as saying she decided to match people up like she always has (which worked) not to take days to check each allergy out and match partners up that way. Our deadline would be here before we got our pals. We'll just have to read our SP's info carefully and use our common sense like before.
    Aren't we lucky to have Lori to manage this swap. Boy, do I appreciate her at the beginning of each month!!!!!! :lol:

And the rest of the month too!
    Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM

I have a quick question, not being too knowledgeable regarding allergies/allergens. I would never send nuts to a SP that is allergic to nuts, that's easy. However, if I have a cat (which I do), and my SP is, for example, allergic to cats. Is it possible that I can wash fabric from my stash and then drop it in the mail, or can nothing that comes from inside my home be mailed to an SP that is allergic to cats (for example)? Should everything be purchased, packaged and droped in the mail and never make a trip thru my home? Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but, just don't want to mess it up, my first time participating.
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by kountrykreation
    I have a quick question, not being too knowledgeable regarding allergies/allergens. I would never send nuts to a SP that is allergic to nuts, that's easy. However, if I have a cat (which I do), and my SP is, for example, allergic to cats. Is it possible that I can wash fabric from my stash and then drop it in the mail, or can nothing that comes from inside my home be mailed to an SP that is allergic to cats (for example)? Should everything be purchased, packaged and droped in the mail and never make a trip thru my home? Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but, just don't want to mess it up, my first time participating.
    Not a stupid question. I don't have cat allergies personally, but my understanding of it from a friend is that anything that was in a cat environment,even if washed triggers her allergies, I believe because of cats dander.
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    that's very considerate of you candi.

Originally Posted by candi
    Ok, Mary and Juli, Lori is not dropping the allergies notation of the form, just won't be matching people according to that line, which is the way she has been doing and everyone before her did, so if I get eitherbof you as a partner and I see you are allergic to nuts, I definitely won't send you any. Problems solved!! We really can't expect her to look at 150 plus names with allergies and allergies and try to match them up.

Back to the fun now! Lori,I hope you are feeling well!
    Mary, I would hope we are all considerate here, and I believe we are. I think we should take it upon ourselves to read the form and stay away from our pal's allergy triggers and dislikes.

Lori is an angel for trying to make the swap as enjoyable as possible and that's why she introduced the allergens line so she can match up according to that, but it is really too much to ask of her. And the swap has been successful for over a year now without matching allergies and allergens, so I don't see why it would be a problem now.

Ok, now, back to the swap, I stopped by a LQS that had a FQ sale today after work, and my oh my, they have a great collection, I will go back for sure! Now, who likes metallics??? :mrgreen:
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM

The allergies/allergens have been a concern for quite some time.
    Lori did mention that a smoker had gotten a SP with asthma and they contacted her and a different SP was assigned. So, I do know for ANY concerns, people have been very cautious with the information that they have.
    Arrangements have been made in the past and will continue to be made for those concerns.
    So, if you get assigned one and you are worried or even need help and suggestions, then contact Lori and something will be worked out!
    We can work around problems or concerns and still have lots of fun!
    (Notice since she isn't here, I'm just tossing her name out!!! She'll be so happy to know that, she may never call on me again for help. LOL!)
    Actually, I KNOW she would tell you to PM her with any concerns or questions. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM

That's one of my biggest triggers for my asthma too. When I am around smoke I am hardly breathe. I didn't get asthma until few years ago after I got pneumonia for 6 months and it just tore my lungs having that crap in my lungs for so long.

Cleaning products, perfumes, esp really really strong ones is my other trigger factors and also really cold weather. Candles are fine for me. Those don't bother me. Cleaning products instantly send me into an asthma attacks. I have to do breathing treatments.

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    i was at an event recently, there was smoking allowed in the hallways but i had to walk through there to get outside to the parking area. i was in full asthma attack by time i made it outside. an ambulance had to be called. there are certain risks i will not take for the sake of fun because it stops being fun for me when it adversely effects my health.

as for taking meds if you have allergies or needing to if you don't: meds only help to manage your allergies not prevent triggers from causing you problems.

That

Originally Posted by Juli
    Shane has had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance when he was a little over a year old and his throat was almost closed up by the time he got to the hospital when he ate some peanut butter, so his allergy is as bad as mine is.
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Candi, I'm not picky, so when you get my name--go ahead and get me all the sale goodies you can find. LOL!!!
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sik1010
    Candi, I'm not picky, so when you get my name--go ahead and get me all the sale goodies you can find. LOL!!!
    Ditto. Mary
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sik1010
    The allergies/allergens have been a concern for quite some time.
    Lori did mention that a smoker had gotten a SP with asthma and they contacted her and a different SP was assigned. So, I do know for ANY concerns, people have been very cautious with the information that they have.
    Arrangements have been made in the past and will continue to be made for those concerns.
    So, if you get assigned one and you are worried or even need help and suggestions, then contact Lori and something will be worked out!
    We can work around problems or concerns and still have lots of fun!
    (Notice since she isn't here, I'm just tossing her name out!!! She'll be so happy to know that, she may never call on me again for help. LOL!)
    Actually, I KNOW she would tell you to PM her with any concerns or questions. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    I agree we all can use common sense and read thoroughly the SP profile. If someone has an extreme allergy and lists it on the profile/template the SP is aware. If someone feels they need to elaborate their situation-i.e. can't have fabric that has even been in a house with (allergen) even if it was washed, it gives the SP a heads up if they include this in their response to allergies.

And if it is a concern, or if the sender has a question regarding it, or needs to ask a specific question they can do it through Lori. Thus remaining anonymous to their SP.

The template has a question asking can you ship Internationally; Maybe Lori can add a line (next month) to the template such as: Would you be willing to switch (maybe have a time period such as within a week) Secret Pals if someone needs to switch. Then if there is a concern someone has about being a SP for someone, there is a pool Lori can go to and make a switch. I guess the peeps that are willing to do it should wait to send their package until that transition time has past. I also agree with the comment that by being able to assign anyone to any other participant- it give more random and diverse possibilities from month to month.

Lori, hope your emergency situation is ok or will be soon.
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

I know allergies can be very bad. Mary was my partner a couple months ago.( Hi other Mary in Mo.) I do not smoke or allow smoking in my house.I bought her items and left them in my truck till I was ready to wrap and send them. Home made items I made at my daughters. I have a cat. Outside only. It really wasn't hard to work around Mary's allergies.Also anything with nuts when people are allergic to them. Just don't send any foods. Or send coffee,tea,etc.Just add another sewing item instead of nuts or candy. I'm not allergic to anything but adhesives. So send me lots of goodies. no problem here.lol. I really feel sorry for those who do suffer them.It really isn't fun. Hope Lori is well and everything is good with her. Mary