Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Update:

Before starting on the second block, figured I'd get one block out of the way. I was making good progress with the HST. I like your way of doing it Rhonda except that I have more waste which should get better the more I do them. That is me though and nothing negative about how you said to do them. THEN I tried to do the Boston Blocks. LOL. It took two days for my brain to figure out what you meant. I knew it was me and not your tutorial and finally my brain gears clicked. Had a good laugh over my own stupidity.

So with all my 2.5 inch blocks sewn, I started to lay them out. So far so good....oh wait...how come that Boston Block doesn't....or the HST doesn't.....drat! Didn't realize I had to reverse some of the layouts and had to unstitch and redo.

Now mind you, unstitching is something that I am unused to. So here we go again. Carefully looking at the diagram, my color choices, the placements.....Round 2 began.
    I was feeling so good and proud of myself that I finished up the block and checked my points (not too bad) and smiled...until I noticed something was wrong.

Yep...I had made mistakes so it is time to unstitch some things again and redo. Sigh. LOL.

I have started to unstitch part of it and will redo it this weekend. Not discouraged about it, too busy laughing at myself to be discouraged.

Just thought I'd share my adventure.
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    Update:

Before starting on the second block, figured I'd get one block out of the way. I was making good progress with the HST. I like your way of doing it Rhonda except that I have more waste which should get better the more I do them. That is me though and nothing negative about how you said to do them. THEN I tried to do the Boston Blocks. LOL. It took two days for my brain to figure out what you meant. I knew it was me and not your tutorial and finally my brain gears clicked. Had a good laugh over my own stupidity.

So with all my 2.5 inch blocks sewn, I started to lay them out. So far so good....oh wait...how come that Boston Block doesn't....or the HST doesn't.....drat! Didn't realize I had to reverse some of the layouts and had to unstitch and redo.

Now mind you, unstitching is something that I am unused to. So here we go again. Carefully looking at the diagram, my color choices, the placements.....Round 2 began.
    I was feeling so good and proud of myself that I finished up the block and checked my points (not too bad) and smiled...until I noticed something was wrong.

Yep...I had made mistakes so it is time to unstitch some things again and redo. Sigh. LOL.

I have started to unstitch part of it and will redo it this weekend. Not discouraged about it, too busy laughing at myself to be discouraged.

Just thought I'd share my adventure.
    LOL Sounds exactly like me when I was working on my last doll quilt! Only I wasn't laughing!! Definately growling to be heard in my house then!!

The pattern I was using only used 6 or so Bostons and the rest squares or HSTs but I kept getting them in the wrong order color wise and when I had it almost done discovered two of my Bostons were in backwards and upside down. Soooooo frustrating!! I hate taking things back out and redoing whole sections. But I did it cause I wanted it to look the way it should look.

I'm so glad you can have a sense of humor about it Bonni!! My friend Dorothy doesn't quilt but she makes all my Blocks for me. She says when she gets frustrated she throws it across the room. Then has to get up and go get! LOL She broke a leg last year and can't walk real well so you know if she is willing to get up and go get it she was mighty upset with herself!!! LOL
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Tell her to attach a string to it so the next time she has to 'retrive' it, she can just pull it back to her. LOL.
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Block number one is finished. I have unstitched it as much as I dare to (without fraying the fabric). It turned out pretty decent for my first attempt at this block and method.

Luckily I have a great swap partner who will probably be able to unstitch one section and redo it if she wants. To continue on with the trials and tribulations of this block. When I spritzed the block to get a better press on it, IT RAN! The pink color bled over a little bit into the blue and pink blocks (just one or two). i could have sworn that I prewashed it. I will have to put a note in it when I send it off in the mail to wash it with a color catcher. If I work on it any more myself I'll end up throw it off the table into the wastebasket! :)

I am posting a picture of it because I know that Dee isn't feeling very well and has a busy weekend ahead of her. Perhaps it will cheer her up. I still have the another block to do this month and bought some fabric for it the other day. I will DEFINITELY prewash the other fabric! :)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-184816.jpe  
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Block number one is finished. I have unstitched it as much as I dare to (without fraying the fabric). It turned out pretty decent for my first attempt at this block and method.

Luckily I have a great swap partner who will probably be able to unstitch one section and redo it if she wants. To continue on with the trials and tribulations of this block. When I spritzed the block to get a better press on it, IT RAN! The pink color bled over a little bit into the blue and pink blocks (just one or two). i could have sworn that I prewashed it. I will have to put a note in it when I send it off in the mail to wash it with a color catcher. If I work on it any more myself I'll end up throw it off the table into the wastebasket! :)

I am posting a picture of it because I know that Dee isn't feeling very well and has a busy weekend ahead of her. Perhaps it will cheer her up. I still have the another block to do this month and bought some fabric for it the other day. I will DEFINITELY prewash the other fabric! :)

Beautiful block Bonnie. Check on the color wash - what the heck I like pink even if its not where it is suppose to be. LOL It will be fine. Love it.
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

I think you did a terrific job on this block! We are all our own critics and I know you can pick out what you see as mistakes. I do it with everything I make. It's just the nature of the beast! LOL

I love the colors you used. The design stands out really well! I don't personally see anything wrong with it.
    Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Thanks. Dee said she loved it. She actually had designed this color scheme from your blocks and sent me her color scheme so I just substituted colors that she used. :)
    Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 AM

That is dreamy! I certainly would be proud to get such a block. I think those flaws are in your imagination, Bonnie!
    Nell
    Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Thank you for the beautiful block you made me - It is really pretty - see it was easier than you thought. It made my day opening it up to see the bright springy colors. And she sent me a beautiful FQ to go with it too. Love it!!!!

Thanks Bon - You did good. Hugs!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-187225.jpe  
    Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dream56

Thank you for the beautiful block you made me - It is really pretty - see it was easier than you thought. It made my day opening it up to see the bright springy colors. And she sent me a beautiful FQ to go with it too. Love it!!!!

Thanks Bon - You did good. Hugs!
    Glad that you loved it Dee. I'm working on the second quilt right now and your enthusiasm is helping me get through it. :)