Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block  Swap (Closed) >
  • Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

• Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Perhaps you folks who use starch/sizing in your fabrics can enlighten me: why????? I always cold water wash my fabrics when I get them in the house, partly to remove any little buggies/critters that may be lurking (or their eggs/progeny), set any dye issues, and remove all sizing. Someone said she likes the stiffer feel??? That just does not make any sense to me.

Of course, I have been quilting so long that perhaps I can't imagine using starch to "stiffen" the fabrics. I just don't know why anyone would do that.

Well, I must just be in a contrary mood today, huh? Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox now so that someone else can have it. I just don't understand this issue ....

(shaking head, walking away, mumbling to self.....)
    Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM

dark blue fabric with white snowman?
    Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
    Perhaps you folks who use starch/sizing in your fabrics can enlighten me: why????? I always cold water wash my fabrics when I get them in the house, partly to remove any little buggies/critters that may be lurking (or their eggs/progeny), set any dye issues, and remove all sizing. Someone said she likes the stiffer feel??? That just does not make any sense to me.

Of course, I have been quilting so long that perhaps I can't imagine using starch to "stiffen" the fabrics. I just don't know why anyone would do that.

Well, I must just be in a contrary mood today, huh? Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox now so that someone else can have it. I just don't understand this issue ....

(shaking head, walking away, mumbling to self.....)
    Isn't it wonderful that we quilters can have different ideas, methods, traditions, beliefs and styles, but still get along and still love quilting? Personally, I don't ever remember finding "critters" in my fabrics. But I have found it difficult to piece fabric when it is washed and the fabric is limp and unstructured. But again, that's what makes the world go round - different strokes for different folks!

(walking away, smiling)
    Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Awww man -- another swap???? Am thinking about this one -- a quilt full of little snow people would be just too cute.... :D
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 AM

I do not like starch but I do use magic sizing to stablize the fabric for applique and template cutting especially if you are working with stripes or plaids or a design fabric that shifts. It is easier to work with. Moosegirl
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by moosegirl
    I do not like starch but I do use magic sizing to stablize the fabric for applique and template cutting especially if you are working with stripes or plaids or a design fabric that shifts. It is easier to work with. Moosegirl
    Yes - agree 100% - Sometimes fabric gets so limp - but with sizing, it adds a crispness and it seems cutting works out better too. Starch?? Nope - never liked the mess it makes.--------
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 AM

Can I ask a dumb question, but what is the difference between "sizing" and "starch". I always thought they were the same thing.
    Rose hall
    Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Originally Posted by moosegirl
    Yes - agree 100% - Sometimes fabric gets so limp - but with sizing, it adds a crispness and it seems cutting works out better too. Starch?? Nope - never liked the mess it makes.--------
    You both are correct. In my message I should have specified Magic Sizing is used to crisp up fabric that has been washed. Using starch, either spray or liquid, often leaves white flakie things on the fabric. Thanks for setting me straight.
    Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 AM

I use both starch and sizing.. I have found that the premade starch flakes..But not the starch you have to mix yourself out of the bottle... I like sizing when I am working on clothes better... :)
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by goldendog55
    I wash every fabric as soon as it comes through the door, so it is too late! Quilt University recommends doing this as some fabrics go into formaldahyde in the processing. Also, I found a book in the library yesterday on quilted snowflakes, called "Sewflakes" by Kathy Wylie. It is an applique book, in case anyone would like to check at their libraries, etc.
    Thanks, my library is 4 blocks away and I use it alot. Will check it out.