Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >
  • Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

• Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 AM

Libster, thanks for the tip, I will try those measurements for the HST. Armylady kudos to you for getting this swap on the go! In the center block of the WOW, you could add a small butterfly, frog, small flower, or a little ladybug , just something to add a little charm, maybe even off center it, not directly in the middle. Now , This would be extra work to a completed block, so maybe a few only will do this, and maybe I will be lucky and get one of those! For all the newbies, check out the winter block swap Armylady just finished up , smooth as butter , I am sure glad I participated. .I did 5 different sets of 4. I hope to have at least 3 different sets of 4 florals for this swap. I love all of the about 20 swappers that participated, you know who you are, some I have known on this board over 6 years!
    Old 10-28-2017, 02:37 AM

I apologize for and withdraw the question of the fussy cut center. It had been mentioned earlier. I surely didn't mean to cause any confusion now. My blocks will be white on white background with floral churn dashes only. Sorry for the confusion that I've caused.
    Old 10-28-2017, 06:28 AM

Good Morning Ladies, ooh wee this swap is becoming more and more complicated everyday. Please forgive me if I have confused any of you. When I came up with this swap I though that it would go smoother than it has. So to stop the confusion this is the way the block needs to be done.

Background needs to be White on White
    Churn Dash needs to be floral (use spring color florals)
    the block needs to measure 12.5 Square or as close to that as possible.

If you want to add a little charm or character to the center block then you may applique, embroider or cross stitch in the center block, you can see post #95 made by Cuppy she had some suggestions.

I hope this clarifies everything for the swap.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Ladies has anyone else made a sample block using the pattern that was chosen. Battle Axe made one and by the picture it looks like it is a little larger than 12.5 sq. I had PM her and suggested that she trim the block to 12.5 sq. but she thinks the points will be lost when we sew the blocks together. Does anyone else have a suggestion to help Battle Axe out.
    Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 AM

As Libster says in post #86, each step steps needs to be squared up to 4 1/2" before continuing - and you will have a 12 1/2" block.
    That way you know your triangles are correct size, the rectangles are correct etc and will not have points cut off.
    Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 AM

I'm just planing on making it the way Libster mentioned. It's a very easy pattern; it was the very first block I ever made

Last edited by NZquilter; 10-28-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by rbwiese
    As Libster says in post #86, each step steps needs to be squared up to 4 1/2" before continuing - and you will have a 12 1/2" block.
    That way you know your triangles are correct size, the rectangles are correct etc and will not have points cut off.
    Yep.. I always check each piece/4.5 inch block, for size accuracy before putting into the overall block. and I check my 1/4 inch seem several times throughout a project to make sure I sewing to the right size too.
    Old 10-28-2017, 01:38 PM

Ladies thank you all for help with answering the questions for the swappers I am still learning myself and I sometimes don't have the answer but I know some of you ladies are far more knowledgeable than I am the help is deeply appreciated.
    Old 10-28-2017, 04:26 PM

Here's my florals! I had fun shopping...and I did get 2 free fat quarters! I also found some beautiful floral in my stash that I think I'll make a few from as well!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583092[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20171027_145055-small.jpg  
    Old 10-28-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Libster
    The Churn Dash is essentially just a 9 patch block. For it to measure 12 1/2" unfinished, each unit should measure 4 1/2" square. Just make sure that your HSTs measure 4 1/2", your strip units should measure the same. When I make the HSTs, I'll cut my squares at 5 1/4" and trim to 4 1/2" after sewing on the diagonal, cutting apart and pressing. Using 1/4" seams, it's bound to come out the right size.
    I cut my squares for HST's large too and always trim after sewing the HST units. It's much more accurate for me that way! And it's much easier to match points!

You don't need one of these, but it makes trimming so much easier. It is well worth the price!

https://www.fatquartershop.com/bloc-...quare-up-ruler