Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Valentines Day Mug Rug Swap! Sign Up Closes Jan 2nd! >
  • Valentines Day Mug Rug Swap! Sign Up Closes Jan 2nd!

• Valentines Day Mug Rug Swap! Sign Up Closes Jan 2nd!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by berryberry
    Does anyone else use insul-bright in their mug rugs? Am I over engineering mine?
    I'm interested in the answer to this to. I've made 1 mug rug and I just used the batting like they use for the potato bags. What is the best batting to use?[/QUOTE]

I've just switched to Warm & Natural batting and love it. (100% cotton) I tend to like thin batting.
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:15 PM
    Power Poster

I use plain batting in mine. never used the insulabrite. I know it makes my hot pads crinkly. good for a hot cuppa though.
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
    Ronda, do you find that using both makes your mug rugs (I am actually thinking about a table runner I made using both) too "poofy?" I used both on a TR once, but I think it was high loft batting and it made it too "over stuffed."
    I use the warm and white or warm and natural, so no...it doesn't make it poofy??
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Hi all,
    I think Patchesnposies thought rwquilts used both the insulbrite and batting at the same time together. And that's why she wondered if it was too poofy..
    When rwquilts meant she's used both in the past, just not together but in different projects.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, ladies .. I mistype and mis-hear things often enough, that I think that's why I "got" this...lol.

I've only used warm and white or warm and natural in my mug rugs (like I'm a pro, I've only made them since last month's mug rug swap..lol). But I debated if I should use the insulbrite??..

So thanks for asking the question, and all of the input.

Regards,
    Kif
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
    Hi all,
    I think Patchesnposies thought rwquilts used both the insulbrite and batting at the same time together. And that's why she wondered if it was too poofy..
    When rwquilts meant she's used both in the past, just not together but in different projects.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, ladies .. I mistype and mis-hear things often enough, that I think that's why I "got" this...lol.

I've only used warm and white or warm and natural in my mug rugs (like I'm a pro, I've only made them since last month's mug rug swap..lol). But I debated if I should use the insulbrite??..

So thanks for asking the question, and all of the input.

Regards,
    Kif
    Yep, Kif, that is what I thought! I must have mis-read her post or had in my mind my own overstuffed table runner where I used both. At any rate, I am going to try just using just the Warm & Natural batting next time and see how I like it. Thanks for clarifying that for me!
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 PM

I seem to like red and white the best. I will however like anything sent to me. I am not particular.
    The batting does not really matter as we are using it to make the Mug rug beautiful. The quilting is the fun part.
    There are about a dozen ideas in my head, I may have to make all of them!!!
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM

Thank you so much for the clarification. Glad to hear, since I only do what has to be done with a hand sewing needle... I am going to get in on this swap, if it is not too late. I love pinks, blues and purple pastels.

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    I am just an observer for the Valentine swap but wanted to let you know dee1245...that 'hand quilted' just means...NOT store bought! Anything you make by hand or with your machine, using fabric, hankies, doilies, just anything as long as you make it, I am sure it will be ok. Others can double verify if I am correct.
    Old 12-30-2014, 02:26 PM

i consider myself a traditionalist but, really, I'm game for anything my swap partner wants to send. i'm sure I will love whatever I receive, since I love handmade things. I've already started cutting into those traditional colors, so .... if my partner wants something different, I will try to accommodate.
    Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Patchesnposies,
    I'm happy to "clarify"...tho it's funny, as often I'm not very clear myself!!

Trish b,
    A dozen mug rugs sounds great...I'll pm my addy.. Oh wait, I have to be assigned a partner 1st...

Dee1245,
    I know on the last swap, several ladies were asking what brat was thinking??? about hand sewn only. Though they were nicer about questioning her...lol . She's like me.. my mind gets going faster than my typing..or is it the other way around??
    I myself love hand sewing, but part of that is my issue of not liking much of the fmq I manage to do.

Regards all,
    Kif
    Old 12-30-2014, 02:45 PM

I like to use a dense batting, but use whatever I may have.