Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Winter, Winter/Holidays, Holidays Block Swap!!  Sign ups til Oct. 29 >
  • Winter, Winter/Holidays, Holidays Block Swap!! Sign ups til Oct. 29

• Winter, Winter/Holidays, Holidays Block Swap!! Sign ups til Oct. 29

Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM

rwquilts, you went above and beyond. All of your blocks are just great. Anyone who gets them will be happy!
    Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM

I agree, Ronda, your blocks are the cutest! And you have inspired all of us.

OK! I am not sure I have 'officially' committed to this swap, so I want to do so. I am not sure how many sets but for SURE I am know I am making gingerbread and snowmen of some style. I will PM you RW.

Sew here is a silly question, maybe. I am new to raw edge applique. I notice RW that you sew yours a little away from the edge of your applique. Since I have never made a quilt with raw edge applique, my question is: is the idea that when it is washed it frays the edges a little? Hope that is not too dumb
    Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Ok I have been looking at this and have the material to make Hot Chocolate, penguins, angels, pointsettias, cats frolicking in the snow, and ??????? can't remember. But i will see what I can make and then I will sign up.
    Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2
    Ok I have been looking at this and have the material to make Hot Chocolate, penguins, angels, pointsettias, cats frolicking in the snow, and ??????? can't remember. But i will see what I can make and then I will sign up.
    Yummm... I just saw a hot cup of chocolate on some sight with sugar cookies above it with those sprinkles on it... quilted. Sew cute.
    Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Urgodschild2, those sound like fun blocks!

Welcome SewExtremeSeams! Glad to have you join us! I really don't know a great answer to your question...I think if you're really wanting the raggy look, that you might want to clip and leave more of a seam allowance on the outside?
    Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams
    I agree, Ronda, your blocks are the cutest! And you have inspired all of us.

OK! I am not sure I have 'officially' committed to this swap, so I want to do so. I am not sure how many sets but for SURE I am know I am making gingerbread and snowmen of some style. I will PM you RW.

Sew here is a silly question, maybe. I am new to raw edge applique. I notice RW that you sew yours a little away from the edge of your applique. Since I have never made a quilt with raw edge applique, my question is: is the idea that when it is washed it frays the edges a little? Hope that is not too dumb
    I think so, it will fray a tiny bit after washings. But, should not come unraveled. HTH.
    Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
    Urgodschild2, those sound like fun blocks!

Welcome SewExtremeSeams! Glad to have you join us! I really don't know a great answer to your question...I think if you're really wanting the raggy look, that you might want to clip and leave more of a seam allowance on the outside?
    Thanks Ronda! The problem is I am a perfectionist (only in my sewing~~meaning I am not satisfied and will rip and rip to get there...) so my whole being is pulling towards wanting the edges to be smooth and finished.
    Have to laugh at myself because I know I am defeating the purpose and quickness of raw edge applique.
    Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams
    Thanks Ronda! The problem is I am a perfectionist (only in my sewing~~meaning I am not satisfied and will rip and rip to get there...) so my whole being is pulling towards wanting the edges to be smooth and finished.
    Have to laugh at myself because I know I am defeating the purpose and quickness of raw edge applique.
    You do whatever floats your boat! I have done all types of applique, from raw edge, to satin stitch, blanket stitch by hand and machine, to painstaking hand applique.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Beautiful blocks everyone.
    Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Oh my goodness, you girls have been busy. I haven't been on for a few days and I sure did miss a lot! The ideas seem to be flowing and they are all great! I love the hot choco idea. Can't wait to see those blocks. I'm almost done with another set and will post a pic soon. Ronda, I'm so glad you do these swaps! Makes me feel like I am part of a sewing group. None of my friends like to sew so I am a lone stitcher! Thanks for being such a great group.