Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • has anyone made a Large sewing table? >
  • has anyone made a Large sewing table?

• has anyone made a Large sewing table?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia
    My table was made for me. I don't have any drawers in it but that sounds nice. Here are a couple of things to think about. If it's that long it needs extra support or the table vibrates as you sew. My guy put extra support around 3 sides of the table leaving 1 side for my legs to go under. When I have a quilt friend over she sits on the opposite side of the table at the other end BUT she bangs her knees on the reinforcement...something to watch out for. Also make sure you have enough room to raise or lower your chair as needed. I raise mine when I'm FMQing (it's easier on my shoulders). I put a 3 drawer plastic container under my table at 1 end instead of built-ins.

To reinforce long table put short bookcase under, set back from edge 9-12" from outside edge.(use shims to make fit tight). Use for storage not often used items.
    Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 AM
    Power Poster

This thread was started in January 2014.

Still some really good suggestions in this thread.
    Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia
    My table was made for me. I don't have any drawers in it but that sounds nice. Here are a couple of things to think about. If it's that long it needs extra support or the table vibrates as you sew. My guy put extra support around 3 sides of the table leaving 1 side for my legs to go under. When I have a quilt friend over she sits on the opposite side of the table at the other end BUT she bangs her knees on the reinforcement...something to watch out for. Also make sure you have enough room to raise or lower your chair as needed. I raise mine when I'm FMQing (it's easier on my shoulders). I put a 3 drawer plastic container under my table at 1 end instead of built-ins.

To reinforce long table put short bookcase under, set back from edge 9-12" from outside edge.(use shims to make fit tight). Use for storage not often used items.
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 AM

My sewing work areas are made from kitchen cabinets that are desk height. I have regular Formica counter tops on them. I have one that is 8 feet long and one that is 12 feet long. Both of them have room for two chairs. Lots of drawers for storage. They are made so they don't have to go against the walls so when I have a big project going I can just let the quilt run over the back edge or I can put a table on the back side for support. I have a cutting table that is two sets of kitchen cabinets at the regular height back to back, creating a 4 foot by 4 foot base then I got a Formica counter top made at 4x6 feet so that I have a hang over edge that I can put a tall chair under to sit while I work if I want. I have plenty of room for all of this as I live alone and have turned the formal living and dining rooms into sewing space. Nice thing about this is that whenever I move, this is the third house I have had these things in, I can just take it apart and move it with me.