• Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • I Don't Know If This Qualifies As Organizing >
  • I Don't Know If This Qualifies As Organizing

• I Don't Know If This Qualifies As Organizing

Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM
    Power Poster

Default I Don't Know If This Qualifies As Organizing

I went through several of my fabric boxes and sorted out some that I fell out of love with. After giving away a couple of bags full, I now have two empty boxes. It looks a little neater in the fabric area of my sewing room.

Also, I have hooks and pegs for the cutter, rulers etc. I cleaned that up recently. It's a lot easier to find stuff now.
    Old 06-28-2017, 02:20 PM
    Power Poster

Something I do now - I put an empty box or upside down laundry basket in the vacated space - otherwise something else seems to fill it!
    Old 06-28-2017, 03:06 PM

Well it certainly does qualify as organizing - - and doesn't it feel wonderful?! But, like bearisgray mentioned, the space you just created will certainly fill in easily enough! Enjoy it while you can......It really is nice when you're working on a project and you can actually find the stuff you need without taking half the day to do it.
    Old 06-28-2017, 04:09 PM

Every time I organize the least little thing, it makes me feel better. That is not true with every one.
    Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM

That's great. As the flylady says, "You can't organize clutter." You got rid of some and you can function better in your space. Yay!
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:18 PM

My space is kind of organized, but I still tend to lose things. How can 3 1/2 yards of fabric just disappear??
    Old 06-29-2017, 02:44 AM

Thank you for sharing your courage to get rid of what you KNOW you will not use. I have been having mental conversations with myself about this same thing. I have a double closet that is full of totes of fabric. A portion in each tote is something I don't like myself and after 15 + years I have not used it. I just hang on to it just in case I find a project that can use that piece. I feel bad about giving it away but..... I really doubt I will use some of this stuff. (It was inherited and has sentimental attachments.)

Guess it is time to stop contemplating and time to give it up! Be brave, be bold and be honest with myself. Dump the fabric that does not fit my quilting work! Right? Ouch that hurts.... at the moment. I am looking forward to the feeling of sanctification of releasing my "stuff" to someone who will use it well.
    Old 06-29-2017, 03:32 AM
    Power Poster

Nearing the end of my sewing/guest bedroom. We don't have central A/C but a window unit. For some reason it cools the whole house with the exception of the s/w bedroom. Putting in a window unit. Small but sufficient. BUTT! It interferes with the view, 1/2 of it. Since I can't sit in front of a/c will need to move the 401 to another wall. Also found out the "light filter" blinds that say white on the box take on a very grey color (the filter). Taking those back. Eventually will get the room in order. Anxious to get to sewing/quilting.
    Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 AM
    Power Poster

I like to have my tools out where I can see them. I don't have a lot of gadgets and found I can do most things with a few basic rulers, cutters and mats. Peg boards are great for keeping tools if you have wall space. Over the years I discovered that things just get lost in drawers. My sewing room has a closet so there is space there for bigger things like a portable quilting stand, light box set up, extra sewing machine and carrying cases.

EDIT: The other biggest observation I discovered was the more space you have the more you fill it up and you are still sewing in the same small 4 station space, from pressing table to cutting table to sewing machine and design wall because it is just easier to have them close to each other.

Last edited by ube quilting; 06-29-2017 at 03:47 AM.
    Old 06-29-2017, 04:16 AM

There must be something in the air. I have been doing the same thing. There are some plastic tubs with sewing/quilting stuff sitting in my garage that I have not opened since I put them there when I moved in ten years ago. I've been cleaning them out. I've added some stuff to my sewing room, given some stuff away, thrown some stuff away. I've also found some things I've been looking for. It sure feels good!