Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Idea for Large Ironing Surface and Storage >
  • Idea for Large Ironing Surface and Storage

• Idea for Large Ironing Surface and Storage

Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention I put those sliding pads (they have cloth under a pad) underneath the solid bottom so I can push it against the wall when it's not being used.
    Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 AM

wow, great idea
    Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Great find! You will love the extra wide pressing surface. I have a 5' triple dresser for storage and an ironing surface. It has 4 small drawers, 2 large drawers and a cabinet in the middle with a door. DH made a big board top that is 24" x 66" to go on top. We stapled a couple layers of cotton batting on it and I made a heavy cotton duck cover with drawstrings so it could be taken off and washed. I love the big ironing surface and all the extra storage space. Unfortunately my kitties like it too, so I usually have to move one or both of them every time I want to use it. lol DH also made me a portable ironing surface from a wooden tv tray. He made a top that was a little larger than the tv tray and put a frame under it so it would fit over the tray. I take it to classes, etc. and, when I am sewing at home I put the removable top on my sewing cabinet next to my machine to press as I go. (So I don't have to move the kitties as often!)
    Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 PM

We need a picture of that!

Originally Posted by nstitches4u
    Great find! You will love the extra wide pressing surface. I have a 5' triple dresser for storage and an ironing surface. It has 4 small drawers, 2 large drawers and a cabinet in the middle with a door. DH made a big board top that is 24" x 66" to go on top. We stapled a couple layers of cotton batting on it and I made a heavy cotton duck cover with drawstrings so it could be taken off and washed. I love the big ironing surface and all the extra storage space. Unfortunately my kitties like it too, so I usually have to move one or both of them every time I want to use it. lol DH also made me a portable ironing surface from a wooden tv tray. He made a top that was a little larger than the tv tray and put a frame under it so it would fit over the tray. I take it to classes, etc. and, when I am sewing at home I put the removable top on my sewing cabinet next to my machine to press as I go. (So I don't have to move the kitties as often!)
    Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM

What a clever way of repurposing and getting so much bang for your buck! The fabric you chose is certainly a happy print .
    Old 09-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Nice idea and can't beat the deal.
    Old 09-29-2013, 08:35 AM

LOVE IT... I like the idea of the thread dividers. Now I just have to find a handy husband to build a base..LOL
    Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 AM

You got a bargain there and now you have something that fits your purpose exactly. Great job.
    Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Great table....
    Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks! The regular ironing board fabric was kind of boring, and the butterflies match some of the paintings I have hanging in the sewing room as well as the Dolls quilt I'm working on.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t220720.html
    I bought it at Joanne's and it had sparkles on it, but I think most of them washed out -- I pre-washed the fabric.
    It has the pot-holder fabric, then ironing board fabric, then this fabric which seemed a lot like ironing board fabric.

Originally Posted by zozee
    What a clever way of repurposing and getting so much bang for your buck! The fabric you chose is certainly a happy print .