• Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space >
  • looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space

• looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space

Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Default looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space

Hi all,
    We are looking for an efficient and attractive way to store my fabric stuff in our guest room down here in Florida. I've looked at wardrobe/cabinets at Lowe's, Home Depot and IKEA. The Lowes' one got terrible reviews. The Home Depot Closetmaid one got two good reviews but only two reviews. I really like the looks of the PAX cabinets at IKEA and am torn between two styles. The Birkeland is one. It can have four shallow drawers on the bottom and shelves above. I can't really find any reviews about the durability of the wardrobe units. I thought maybe some of you could let me know what you think. DH is not very handy but can assemble furniture. He is not confident about redesigning and modifying. I want something that works but still looks nice for when we use the room for company. Okay, I'd also like it to look nice when I'm using it instead of my space at home where the storage is not the greatest and everything ends up in a hodge podge frequently.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    lots2do
    Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

I think someone posted 2 Ikea units combined with their cutting board on top and it was aweome.I believe it was in the Mission Organization section of QB.

Nope I just checked it was cubes from Home Depot and the title post was from Morelcabin under Look what I built today.

Last edited by Tartan; 07-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 AM

I love the table I purchased on line from them.
    Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM

We are moving in a few weeks and I get to furnish a large sewing room. I will be using the Borgsjo cabinets in white with glass doors from Ikea for my fabric storage. I can fit 3 in a row on 1 wall, and 4 bookshelves from the same system on another wall. The Hemnes cabinets are really nice too, but they are 3 times the price. We had a PAX wardrobe in our bedroom and I liked it, but it is very tall and the top shelf was hard to reach. My DH can put anything together but the PAX wardrobe was difficult because it is so tall. It is not a one person job. Goo luck with your choice of cabinets.
    Old 07-13-2013, 05:36 PM

Google the group called ikeahackers - you'll get several ideas from the site. Another place I found to look for storage ideas is the photo site called flickr.com - this link takes you to a group called Operation: Sewing Room Organization

http://www.flickr.com/groups/operati..._organization/

You're bound to get some good ideas from these pictures. Hope this helps!!
    Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM
    Power Poster

I think Ikea furniture would be great in a sewing room!
    Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Ikea furniture IS terrific for a quilt room. I wanted white bookcases to cover one entire long wall - I bought 5 "Billy" bookcases and the end ones on each side have double glassed doors. The center one is skinny as it holds a ton of books. The bookcases are wonderful! Gives a nice organized look to the room and it matches the kitchen cabinets (out of the original kitchen) on the other long wall (bases & wall cabinets), which gives a nice clean, uniform look to the room. The walls are painted Antique Filoli (which is a deep, rich beige color) and all trim in the room is Dove White, which also matches the cabinetry. Wood floors and a nice carpet, and some antiques -- its the room I love the most in the entire house. Great value for the money!
    Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

My sewing room is from IKEA. It's wonderful!!
    Attached Thumbnails new3.jpg   new2.jpg   new-1.jpg  
    Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Thank you all for the advice and the pictures too! I spent a good amount of time checking out the flicker pictures too. We are going to go back to IKEA to look at our options again soon. Last time was our first time there and it was pretty overwhelming. I am excited about the possibilities!
    Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Just one piece of advice.. do layout your space on graph paper , before buying... I have seen good ideas gone bad .. because the scale of the selected pieces did not correspond with the "real" space. Make sure you take into account the door swings space.