Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Places to sell books and patterns? >
  • Places to sell books and patterns?

• Places to sell books and patterns?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:54 PM

Used bookstores may buy them... not much $$ in it but better than giving it away
    Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
    Used bookstores may buy them... not much $$ in it but better than giving it away
    I get 1/4 the original price (which isn't normally the price I've paid) and then get half off on books I buy so I consider that pretty good. I read a lot of hard backs and at $20+ original price I get a bit back. Plus, I get 1/4 original price on the garage sale books I pay a quarter for.

Half price books gives you nothing at all. I don't go there except to look for books about once a year. I did find some good OOP sewing/quilting books there.
    Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

Wow, Patrice, that's great! And yes, Half Price gives you nothing!
    Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM
    Power Poster

I have some beginner books I am saving incase oldest Granddaughter changes her mind and decides to start quilting.
    Not likely to happen, I also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I would just donate mine to Goodwill, someone would get some use out of them. Maybe they couldn't afford others.
    Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    I sold tons of books to Half Price but they give you so little for them. But the truth was I just wanted them gone.
    We took some excellent books over to Half Priced Books and were shocked at what they gave me. Not worth the drive.
    Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    I'm surprised no one mentioned here. There is a thread on here to sell things. Right now there are few things available.
    Years ago it was great to buy and sell things here. But they have added so many rules and restrictions, price controls, etc. that not many people bother with it anymore.
    Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM

I sometimes take my to a used book store. I used to love the "For Sale Items" forum on this QB but the rules have really changed and don't see too much on there anymore. I got a lot of fabrics and books from this QB and was sad to see the changing rules come out.
    Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 PM

You can always donate them to the public library and request a donation slip for your taxes.

I am downsizing and took a bunch of my books to my local one and they were really happy to get them - said they are always getting requests for quilting books.
    Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 AM

Be sure to check prices on Amazon. Some quilt books go for a LOT of $$, others, a few cents. Ones from American Quilter's Society seem to hold their value well. Ones from That Patchwork Place, no.
    Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Years ago it was great to buy and sell things here. But they have added so many rules and restrictions, price controls, etc. that not many people bother with it anymore.
    it's important to remember that we are not a marketplace with some quilting-talk on the side.

we have a not-for-profit Thrift Shop in which qualified members are allowed to offer their excess, presumably used fabric, tools, etc. at thrift shop prices.

all the rules became necessary because too many people were joining for the sole purpose of selling. they had no interest in posting anything meaningful, useful, or interesting to genuine members. most of them wanted to make a profit. and - most unfortunately - far too many were hoping to take advantage of all our beginner members. they tried to sell discount grade fabrics at hard-wall quilt shop prices assuming we'd be too stupid and gullible to know the difference in value.

when our thrift shop was started, there was nothing like it anywhere else on the internet. now there are countless sites at which folks can sell whatever they want for whatever they can get somebody else to pay. there's nothing wrong with that as long as you shop as carefully as you would anywhere else. options are usually a good thing.

our thrift shop is still "open for business" to any qualified member who wants keep the spirit alive in which it was created.