Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Do you organize just to buy more? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/do-you-organize-just-buy-more-t283943.html)

QuiltingBear 11-22-2016 09:10 PM

I have found that putting away my purchases into an organized manner (I color sort) tends to remind me of what I have and usually inspires my next project... walking into a messy studio tends to shorten the length of time I want to stay. I can tolerate a bit of clutter but will avoid chaos.

patricej 11-23-2016 04:34 AM

i have an insane amount of fabric and a ridiculous collection of tools, etc.
i organize to put things back into "shoppable" order and to remind myself/rediscover what i already have.
my goal is to buy as little new as possible until i have used up most of those fabrics that will work well together in a project.

my success rate?

er ... ummm ...

no comment. :p

Kris P 11-23-2016 05:04 AM

I buy mostly small cuts of fabrics and shop in the scraps section of my LQS. I like really scrappy quilts. I love being able to shop in my stash and if I need orange, but don't have enough of one fabric, I'll use 3 or 4 oranges for a super scrappy look. Anything 1/4 yard or more gets ruler folded and stands on end in a drawer. This is what my top drawer of Quilt shop fabrics looks like. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999461797593/
I rarely find fabric that I've forgotten about in bags. Once I get it home, it almost immediately goes into a drawer. I also have a drawer of JoAnn's fabrics, a drawer of Solids, Batiks and novelty fabrics, and a drawer with larger cuts between 2-6 yard cuts.

redstilettos 11-23-2016 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 7704617)
i have an insane amount of fabric and a ridiculous collection of tools, etc.
i organize to put things back into "shoppable" order and to remind myself/rediscover what i already have.
my goal is to buy as little new as possible until i have used up most of those fabrics that will work well together in a project.

my success rate?

er ... ummm ...

no comment. :p

LOL Patrice! I love the honesty spoken there!

elly66 11-23-2016 05:21 AM

I noticed that too. Really proud of getting things organized but all too soon new fabric calls my name. The fabric moratorium on here helps but I still fall sometimes.

Karamarie 11-23-2016 05:31 AM

As much as I love to go into fabric stores, I find that I have to just stay from them sometimes as the temptations are just too much for me.

tallchick 11-23-2016 05:36 AM

I totally reorganized my room earlier this month, and did so beacause I have a smidgen of OCD and things must be "in their place", in the process I told myself I needed to cut back on my fabric purchases!! I work on one project at a time and put things away at he end of every work session. I wish I could be more relaxed about things, but it's sooooooo hard for me to do. I have discovered that I have far too many fabrics that no longer appeal to me, I'm trying hard to not buy more fabric, but there are some beautiful lines out there!!!!

Jane Quilter 11-23-2016 05:40 AM

I don't have lots of fabric, so I usually start with scraps, add fat qtr if I need more colors and buy yardage for backing when the quilt is finished. Projects purchased go in a separate plastic scrapbook tote with a label until I am ready to start. And I dont buy another project until a tote is empty.

Beachbaby12 11-23-2016 06:26 AM

I try to keep organized - when things get messed up, I have to stop, regroup, and get things in order again. Will admit, I love fabric (who doesn't?) and if I see something that will help with a couple of upcoming projects, I'll buy the fabric.

Friday1961 11-23-2016 08:58 AM

I try not to buy more, but a friend recently gave me a big box of quilting fabrics, squares and some Grandmother's Garden hexagon blocks that had belonged to her mother. Wonderful gift, but I feel the pressure to now "do something" with these treasures. And finding a place to store them. Sometimes I'm not sure it pays to let people know what you do for a hobby! :rolleyes: