Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-batting-t281369.html)

ube quilting 08-17-2016 07:17 PM

Between two layers of pieced cotton.:D

I have put packaged bat in pillow cases and left them on the bed and in the chair in my guest room. Also under the bed.

peace

sewbizgirl 08-17-2016 09:18 PM

First, I'd take them out of the packaging so they stop sliding! Then I would hurry to use them up first, before cutting anything off the big roll. Ten quilts shouldn't take too long to make, huh? :D

justflyingin 08-18-2016 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7629872)
First, I'd take them out of the packaging so they stop sliding! Then I would hurry to use them up first, before cutting anything off the big roll. Ten quilts shouldn't take too long to make, huh? :D

It is true. You can take them out and then just fold them. They don't slide anymore.

redstilettos 08-18-2016 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 7628740)
I took a couple of lengths of batting out and put them in the space saver bags but the seal did not hold and it exploded.

Okay, I know I shouldn't laugh, but I had the best mental image of this happening......LOL

Carol J 08-18-2016 06:24 AM

I bought my Warm N Natural batting on a roll in a box. Then I made a slit in the box and store it behind a bed out of sight. As I need it, I roll it out on the bed and cut. Works for me. Smaller pieces get stored where I have room.

wendiq 08-18-2016 12:44 PM

I like the pool noodle idea. Is it sturdy enough to stand up?

quiltingshorttimer 08-19-2016 06:03 PM

I heard a long armer that used the rolling base of an old office chair to slide her batting roll onto and then she can just pull if off and cut. I have the old office chair and took of the chair part--but can't figure out how to get rid of the hydraulic base--any ideas? anyone ever do this? I think it would be great for the long arm studio.

lots2do 08-20-2016 07:48 AM

I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

PaperPrincess 08-20-2016 02:26 PM

I know someone who stores her batts in the bath tub. Fortunately, in a bathroom that's not often used for bathing.

quiltingshorttimer 08-20-2016 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 7631737)
I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

I can understand the confusion--basically it uses the base of the rolling chair, along with a part of the post that holds up the chair seat--then you put a piece of PVC plastic pipe over the post part and just drop the roll of bat (the cardboard part) over the PVC pipe--that way you can pull out the amount of bat needed and cut straight down. For those that have worked in a school, it's like the big rolling carts for the butcher paper that is used on bulletin boards, etc. And by having it standing upright, the roll doesn't take up as much room. But I can't figure out how to get the lift part off the chair assembly--my husband rescused a chair base from the trash for me and I'd like to get this taken care.