Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Ready to sort and organize Stash >
  • Ready to sort and organize Stash

• Ready to sort and organize Stash

Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Default Ready to sort and organize Stash

My shelving is really deep - about 16 inches. Do I wrap my fabric around foam boards or do I fold?
    Should I put in bins - which are difficult to store in the shelves without wasting space.
    Any comments?
    Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

IMHO with shelves that deep id ruler fold.. might have too much wasted space with the boards.. unless you want 2 boards deep.. But if you do 2 rows deep with boards then you wont see the back row...
    Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM

I would really like to just fold mine, less cost, but I tryed that and every time I pulled out fabric i had to either wrestel with the fabric on top of what I wanted and restack or refold at least 2 pieces I didn't want. I find I really like the boards. Nothing comes unfolded, nothing is stacked above or below what I want. With shelves that deep you may be able to run a second row of only 6 inch high bolts infront of your taller bolts if needed. Personally I don't like the second rows because I always want that one piece way in the back, and have to move the front bolts anyway! LOL
    Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 PM

My shelves are 12 deep so my DH cut my boards 11 deep...It really allows to get more use of your space...
    Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
    Power Poster

If your shelves are really deep, can you store a row of batting bags behind the comic book cardboards? It would solves 2 problems at once. Get your batting stored and keep the mini bolts from going too far in. You could also put a row of shoe boxes at the back. Fill them with little used patterns or notions with a nice printed sign on the box.
    Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM

You might try this:I am going to organize my fabric with comic boards and store them in the closet of my sewing room. My husband has agreed to build me 2 bookshelf things with a backing board that will be piano hinged to the wall in front of the new 12" shelving in the back of the closet. So when I open the closet it will look like the closet is really shallow with shelves of fabric on boards. Then when you pull the handle of the front bookcase thing it will rotate forward so the back of the closet is accessable with more shelves with fabric. My sister in law had this in her fancy pantry. Still in the planning stages. Any suggestions gladly accepted. Canary quilter
    Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by canaryquilter
    You might try this:I am going to organize my fabric with comic boards and store them in the closet of my sewing room. My husband has agreed to build me 2 bookshelf things with a backing board that will be piano hinged to the wall in front of the new 12" shelving in the back of the closet. So when I open the closet it will look like the closet is really shallow with shelves of fabric on boards. Then when you pull the handle of the front bookcase thing it will rotate forward so the back of the closet is accessable with more shelves with fabric. My sister in law had this in her fancy pantry. Still in the planning stages. Any suggestions gladly accepted. Canary quilter
    Oh I like this Idea, more usable space and easy to get to!
    Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 AM

Good luck! Please post pics when done!
    Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 AM

I went to our comic book store and they had boards, but they were no thicker than poster board. Is that what
    ya'll use? or was it comic error and I was shown the wrong thing?
    Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 AM
    FLQ

I purchased the archival comic book boards on line in 100's pack. They seemed like poster board strength but I have had good luck wrapping them. The stand up in my cabinet. I don't put mor that 3 yards ( or less than 1/2 yard) on because then the wrap isn't good. Of course, that's me . I love the idea of a hidden shelf to hide My excess from dh....too late...he already knows I'm addicted to fabric.