Sewing Room Upgrade

Old 12-28-2020, 05:54 AM

How wonderful to finally have a space of your own! If you want the mismatched furniture pieces to be cohesive, you could paint them all the same color. A friend of mine picked up furniture for her sewing room at yard sales and second hand shops and painted them (in her case black). Looks fantastic.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:36 AM

Congratulations!!! How exciting. The Ikea cabinets and furnishings is a great idea. My sister installed Some Ikea cabinets and upper cabinets in her sewing room in her old house to complete her space. They were great and easy to take down when getting ready to sell the house. She is now installing them in her current home.
My sewing space was custom made for me and if I could have one more thing it would be a better space for a design wall. You already have this figured into your room so you are one step ahead of the game. Make sure your cutting table it wide enough for a larger cutting mat. My treadle serves as the table for my sewing machine, which ever one happens to be in use at the time. I had to remember to leave space so I can open it. As time has gone on over the last 25 years my studio has become fuller and fuller of fabrics and sewing machines and now Accuquilt products. (14 sewing machines all together). Keeping it neat is a challenge but something I keep on working at. Fill your space with fun and just be peaceful in the joy of your own studio.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:25 PM

Congratulations on your space.👍 Having your own sewing space is a great thing. I claimed my DS's bedroom when he went to college. Quiltingcandy is so right,even after many years on my room, I too rearrange from time to time. Enjoy your new space.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Good for you. A workable sewing space is what makes sewing and quilting more enjoyable. Not necessary for things to match.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:56 PM

Seems like each a time i go to my sisters she has rearranged her sewing room!!!
I guess she is still just trying to find how her space works best for her!

Makes good sense to me!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle
Seems like each a time i go to my sisters she has rearranged her sewing room!!!
I guess she is still just trying to find how her space works best for her!

Makes good sense to me!
Sometimes rearranging is great for motivation & a good cleaning-that's what I tell my husband anyway lol
But seriously spaces like craft/sewing rooms sometimes as you start to actually work on projects you finally figure what works & what doesn't.

Last edited by craftiladi; 06-03-2021 at 08:53 AM. Reason: hit enter to soon
Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 AM

How exciting!! Having a sewing space larger than a closet or storage area it fantastic. Keep planning and graphing things out. I can't wait to see pictures and see you all moved in. The only thing with a dedicated space is it doesn't take long to fill it up. Sew to your hearts content! Be creative with a bang!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:21 AM

Congratulations on your new sewing room. I would make one suggestion. Have an Ott light so you can sew when the natural lighting isn't good. I bought mine when it was on sale at Joann's and I wouldn't be without it. It save a lot of eye strain. Good luck with your painting and new floor. Please show us a picture when it is finished.