• Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Share your best organizing tip! >
  • Share your best organizing tip!

• Share your best organizing tip!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:37 PM

put it away
    Old 06-01-2018, 02:52 PM

The biggest help for me are the plastic drawers on wheels ( they don't have to have wheels because I don't move them. It's 18 inches wide, 2 small drawers and 2 deep ones. Cutters, blades, small scissors, needles etc on top drawer, screw drivers, large scissors and other tools 2nd drawer. Cone thread in the 2 deep drawers.

Another big helper is a slotted wood ruler holder that sits on the end of my sewing desk, it liens on the wall, I love having the different size rulers handy.

A copy of my pantos in a binder, rather than unrolling and showing to customers.
    Old 06-01-2018, 06:19 PM

I save the internet patterns I download by type (star, Christmas, Halloween, log cabin, scrappy, etc). When I print out a pattern I put it in sheet protectors and keep it with the fabric for the project.

I have the plastic drawers that roll around that have the small drawers that I use to put my thread in -- sorting it by color and type. I went to Dollar tree and bought some small baskets that fit in the drawers to the thread does not roll around.

I tie lengths of selvedges on the handles of my scissors and rotary cutters so I can hang them on peg board hooks without them crowding each other -- and I hang the larger rulers on the pegboard hooks. I put my small rulers on the binder rings that you can get at an office supply store. I then hang the ring on peg board hooks.
    Old 06-01-2018, 06:30 PM

"Everything is someplace." Love that DJ! I spent several days last fall sorting / organizing everything into bins / boxes already owned. Now when I finish a project I spend about 15 minutes putting everything back where it belongs. I cut small scraps into 5' squares and refold larger scraps and place both in their proper containers. Makes it so much easier when it's time for the next project to begin.
    Old 06-02-2018, 01:26 AM

My Best Tip: I use command hooks attached to the inside and outside of cabinets to store my rulers. I also use command hooks to hang my embroidery hoops on the wall behind the door to my sewing room. I use the little metal ones that hold 1/2 lb. just the right size and a couple of them hold multiple rulers.
    Like RhondaK, I keep lists of my rulers, owners manuals, embroidery stabilizers, and things needed for a project . I store them on my computer and in Dropbox and can access them wherever I am on my phone.
    Old 06-02-2018, 02:13 AM

DJ, I love your term “craftermath!” It describes the chaos I create after working on my various crafts. I think this term should be added to our lexicons. Thanks for my early morning chuckle!
    Old 06-02-2018, 02:32 AM

[QUOTE=DJ;8068891]DH's motto is "A place for everything, and everything in it's place." I joke that my motto is "Everything is someplace." He doesn't think it's funny ... which makes it even funnier to me!

LOL! thats funny
    Old 06-02-2018, 02:54 AM

Like QuiltE, I have purchased project boxes (scrapbooking size) from Michael’s when they’ve been on sale 3/$10. I store blocks and notions in each. For example, I have one with my Jen Kingwell Longtime gone I am doing with a modern guild and I also have one that has an embroidery project, etc.

I also keep an extra sewing caddy/tote ready to take to a sewing group or class. It contains all the necessary sewing notions, seam ripper, scissors, machine needles, rotary cutter, small ruler, fabric marker, bobbins, neutral thread, etc.
    Old 06-02-2018, 03:55 AM

I don't have a mess in my sewing room. I just have ideas lying everywhere.

One small suggestion. Keep a little container next time you empty something little with a lid (I had a small plastic spice container) to put your used needles and rotary cutting blades in, anything sharp. That way , you always have them contained when you are done with them and when it's full you can throw the whole thing out.

Watson
    Old 06-02-2018, 04:11 AM

My office was giving away some lateral files. I stacked two of them in a closet with bi-fold doors and folded my fabric to fit inside. Each drawer pulls out, and it's really easy to go through my fabrics now.
    Attached Thumbnails lateral-files.jpg