Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • What are we organizing today (2017)? >
  • What are we organizing today (2017)?

• What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 04-02-2018, 04:50 AM

Saturday I managed to declutter a shelf in my studio by using up all the tiny amounts of leftover paint in large squeeze bottles. I mixed them all together with some medium to make a lovely dark gray to overdye/paint a large ugly pink fabric remnent. Then I trashed the the squeeze bottles. it’s a shame they are not recyclable. But at least they are out of my space and have freed up half of a shelf that can be put to use for some of the stuff that’s currently cluttering my worktable. Yesterday I repaired some things that have been sitting on my worktable for months. Today I will put those things back where they belong now that they’re useable.

now to find something to get rid of today...

Rob
    Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Lots of projects being accomplished!

I have a usable cutting/sandwiching area again! Wahoo! I resisted just shoving everything into a plastic tub and put everything away other than a small plastic dishpan-sized container. I am working on sorting the container out though.

I also emptied 2 small drawers from one of the craft drawer systems (about 2" tall drawers). I took the contents to school with me today and sorted one of the drawer's contents into like lengths-2, 3, etc, to 10.5. +" bags during my prep times. One of the benefits of this special Ed resource assignment is no prep needed during prep time. Lol! One bag is done! I will probably use the strips in scrappy rail blocks. Some of the students did ask what I had on the desk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592077[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM
    Power Poster

Great use of down time! it seems the more I sort the more that crops up!
    Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 PM

It felt good today to tidy up my sewing room somewhat. Still have more to do, but it looks 75% better, which means I am calmer. I'm in the process of painting a spare bedroom, so some of the stuff from that room had to be moved into my sewing room and hallway.

Every time I tidy up, I feel more and more incentive to chuck stuff, and it's cathartic to do so. There's also a very clear sense of self when you are mindfully ruthless about clutter. By that I mean, when you're over a certain age, you pretty well know yourself--the fantasy you and the real you. And you realize that constantly storing stuff, saving stuff, moving stuff from pillar to post, just drains you instead of invigorates you. That lightening up the digs actually lightens up the soul.
    Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 PM

Well said, zozee!

Today I sorted another small drawer of strips by length - 2” to 10.5”+. Hopefully, I will get through one more small drawer tomorrow while I am on my subbing breaks. The teacher will be back on Thursday so I won’t have his nice clean desk and nice schedule probably again this year! Lol!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592119[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails e2d4f075-e485-4184-abd5-784fca667762.jpeg  
    Old 04-13-2018, 04:06 AM

Lots of inspiring stories and words here - thanks!
    Today's my day to sew at the local quilt shop but then, I'm ready to get cracking. I bought a machine yesterday and need to make a space for it. I really, really want to play around with it so that's also motivation to get moving. Two bags for the thrift shop have been rattling around in the car for too long so those will go today.
    Have a great day, everyone.
    Old 04-13-2018, 01:53 PM

Tomorrow, we begin paintmejudy's 19th mystery quilt!! I looked at my 2 boxes of batik and found appropriate fabric for
    this project. Then decided to sort by color & cut small pieces into 4 x 8" rectangles. The rectangles are for Kaffe's quilt called "Wagga Wagga" previously made in pure Kaffe. I ended up with a pile of small scraps for EPP or crazy sewing.
    That pile goes to the Give-Away table at the Guild. Oh my, I have room in the batik boxes to buy some new cuts!!
    Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 PM

I snuck a couple of items into my neighbors yard sale today.....and they sold. My neighbor just said to bring more stuff tomorrow... Woohoo! Gonna do it again...I hate doing yard sales so this is way cool...
    Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Yes, I agree! I sorted and discarded some stuff in my sewing room today, too. Just a small change can make sure a mental difference. I felt like a million when I was through.
    Old 04-14-2018, 02:46 AM

Big day planned today in the sewing room. Clearing out sewing room so I can dust and vac. Strings and Scraps containers will be sorted and/or emptied. Continue cutting scraps for Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Happy Houses (one of her free patterns). leader ender projects (have 2 going) and finally, neutrals cut for another project. Clean sewing cabinet I bought on Sunday.