Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • What are we organizing today 2021 >
  • What are we organizing today 2021

• What are we organizing today 2021

Old 02-22-2021, 12:43 PM

Rob. Sometimes finding a solution requires trying many possibilities until you find the one that works for you. Congrats on your perseverence.

I too have horizontal places covered. Even added shelves which became filled and more stuff on horizontal places.
    Old 02-28-2021, 09:54 AM

Thanks, petthefabric. I’m slowly getting my scraps cut down into sizes I like to use. I’ve been cutting 2.5” squares using my sizzix 2.5” strip die. Almost done with those, then I’ll pull my die for cutting 2”squares out and finish up with all but the black and white scraps. I also took some time to pull out the ittybitty pieces I use to make scarves. I made 3 with the scraps left over from my recent quilt finishes. Still have a drawer full of more bits for scarves and I’ll work on getting another few scarves made this week. At this rate, I should regain control of my scraps by next week. Except for my batting scraps....I really need to take the time to make some frankenbatting and also another pillow with the teeny pieces...

Rob

Old 02-28-2021, 10:47 AM
    Power Poster

Horizontal places: an invitation not to put items in their proper place! I have way too many of those, too!

Now putting away 1 1/2" squares and strips as I have conquered the 9P blocks, This is what 231 3" finished 9P's look like. Now the next step with 3 1/2" connecting squares.
    Attached Thumbnails 2021-9p.jpg  
    Old 02-28-2021, 10:52 AM

Taking apart jelly rolls to make quilt, of course! lol... So sewing today and taking care of the creative chaos I making today. ta ta for now and later...lol
    Old 03-01-2021, 05:34 AM

Julienm1- so far I'm stacking them. We’ll see what happens down the line LOL!

Petthefabric and oksewglad- yep,Horizontal surfaces are detritus magnets in my studio, too. All I can say is thank goodness for gravity, cause if it wasn't for that, all my vertical surfaces would also be covered .

Today I’m tackling one of my long term organization projects. Going through the quilts that I still have to detemine which ones need labels, hanging sleeves, storage bags, and to have documentation completed. I started last night by pulling out the ones that I know need labels. There were eight, printed out labels on fabric and will get those stitched on today. Three need storage bags and several need to have photos printed out to add to their pages. So far I haven’t found any that need hanging sleeves- Yay!

I need a better system for doing labels as I often end up waiting to make labels for my quilts until I’ve got enough to fill up a page of the printable fabric. My handwriting is terrible, so handwriting them is not an option, and I don’t have an embroidery machine, so that’s not an option either.

Also going to spend some more time with my scraps.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 03-01-2021 at 05:36 AM.
    Old 03-01-2021, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

Hey everyone,
    On January 1 I started a massive cleanup/out of my sewing room. It took 8 full days. I haven't done it since we moved in here in 97!
    I can't tell you how rewarding it's been. It was such a monumental job that I got discouraged but kept at it.

I purged 5 huge bags of things I know I didn't want and had a garbage bag full, making 6 bags.

I bought some clear plastic bins on Amazon and a cart with 3 shelves and wheels, which has been super handy to put all my things in that I use a lot. I also added 3 more thread holders on wasted wall space. And I finally unearthed my project wall thing.(can't think of the name of it).
    I bought it at least 5 years ago and never put it up!

Since that time I have finished 3 projects that were in hiding and now that I can find everything and know what I have I'm having a ball up there!

Costs were minimal. Just the clear boxes and cart. But I sold a ton of fabrics I didn't want (mostly precuts) but didn't want to donate (I donated a lot).

When you have at least 8 rotary cutters and can't find one it's time to clean!!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 03-01-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

What an accomplishment SusieQOH! You are an inspiration!
    Old 03-01-2021, 06:15 PM

Wow..Susie...that’s awesome! You go, girl!! 👏🏻

so, I sent my Hubbie up to his shop to make something ...I have so much left over wood from the build of our home...I wanted a short tri-fold out of the leftover trim so I could hide the electrical cords and crap along the floorboard between desk and printer...super easy...gave him all the supplies...just cut the boards, screw these thingie hinges in..voila...I’ll paint..no prob... 4 hours later, still no sign of him. So...off I go to make sure he’s not laying dead since he forgot his cell phone at the house. I’m really freaking out as I walk up the hill towards the workshop....I lift a prayer, grab the door knob, swing the door open....and Hubbie is sitting visiting with our neighbor from way up top the hill behind us.....for 4 hours... ugh! Long story...sorry...but the funny part is that while they were sitting there, I pulled the radial alarm saw out, cut my wood, grabbed his power drill, screwed thingies in....and then painted it. This is my life.... thanks for listening..
    Old 03-01-2021, 07:45 PM
    Power Poster

Sorry Teen, but I chuckled...not at you but with you...oh I know how you feel. My honey do list disappeared eons ago.
    Old 03-01-2021, 09:13 PM

Susie: Wow! Way to go!

Teen: Like oksewglad, I chuckled with you too. It’s awesome you know how to use the radial arm saw.

I need to spend time going through extra scissors and rotary cutters along with other items that have been stored in my sewing area.

I accomplished my house goals for February-2 hours per week going through physical pictures/memorabilia and 1 hour per week in my extra bedroom. I thought I would be finished by now but I think it will take at least this week and maybe next week to finish the lists in both rooms. Then I will take a break before I delve into slides, movies, etc. Next up, however, will be closet makeovers-new shelving and paint. When we built in 1986, pressed wood was used for the top shelves in the closets and also in the linen and pantry areas. Way past time to change them out. I think I finally decided to replace them with laminated wood shelves.