Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • What are we organizing today 2021 >
  • What are we organizing today 2021

• What are we organizing today 2021

Old 03-26-2021, 01:35 AM

Good day yesterday. Dropped of 13 quilts various sizes for PL. She was happy since she had a request for 25 for one of our hospitals. This morning got up and realized I'll be able to vacuum floor but those jelly rolls had a party last night. I know it's bad when dh walks in to chat with me, looks at the cutting table, turns around without saying another word, and walks out.
    Old 03-26-2021, 03:01 AM

I was watching Pat Sloan yesterday and on her calendar it was clean up one surface in your sewing room or work space. Well I went dragging myself into my sewing room with Windex and paper towels and cleaned all the dust off the banquet table I use for my sewing table. Wow, what a change. First it smelled better, fresh. Then If you are going to move all that "stuff" to wipe down the surface, just put it in it's appointed place. I found pins, old patterns, pencils, pens and odd little cuts of fabric. I even wiped down my machine to remove those smudges and dust bunnies in the crevices. It took less than 10 minutes to make my table sparkle and free of miscellaneous detritus that grow with vigor on my sewing table. Now, why didn't I do this clean up long ago?
    Old 03-26-2021, 03:13 AM

Teach good job! Good girl! I think I figured out clutter grows so gradually that we don't even notice it until it's out of control...at least in MY sewing room. My chaos is created when I'm making either scrappy quilts or quilts using jelly roll. For a while I did tidy up before going to bed but that didn't last long. Have to get back on that band wagon again...maybe tomorrow? Hmmm....maybe sooner?
    Old 03-26-2021, 06:43 PM

Julienm1: Wow! Congratulations on delivering 13 PL quilts. You made your day and the PL coordinator’s day. I had been good for several months with keeping my cutting area clean every night along with my ironing area but have slipped some and the area between the 2 needs some help again. 🙂. Lack of concentration on just one or two projects is the culprit.

WMUTeach: Way to go! I watch Pat Sloan also. I had recently cleaned my ironing and cutting areas along with under my machine’s extension table. Amazing how much dust gets under those tables.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:03 PM

What am I organizing tonight and prpbably tomorrow? Batting. Have one of those containers w/flip lid filled with batting scraps. Watch Just Get It Done quilts and she showed how she sews scraps together using a two step zig zag stitch. So been trimming and sewing. Man there's a lot of batting in there. Should have enough scraps for at least 2 quilt for Project Linus quilts. I aired out a full size bat but don't want to use it just yet.
    Old 03-29-2021, 03:35 AM

Lesson learned the hard way. Way to many batting scraps. So new promise to self:
    After cutting batting for quilt, I promise to fuse scraps BEFORE quilting.
    I wonder how long it will take until I break this promise?
    Old 03-29-2021, 04:35 AM

Wmuteach- Way to go! Pat Sloan is fun to watch. Did you see the one where she showed all the projects she’s currently working on? Can’t remember how many it was, but it made me feel better about only having 5 WIPs .

Julienm1- maybe you could start by just piecing together what you need for the current Quilt, rather than tackling the whole thing at once- that way it’s not so overwhelming. Also, Zig zagging batting scraps together is perfect for those days when you just want to do some mindless sewing.

so far I’m really happy with the reorganization of my storage system for small scraps. I am managing to keep my work surfaces clear enough that it’s easier to work in there than it has been for the last couple of years. I want to spend some time this week tackling the area between my cutting table and the guest bed. That section of floor has become a clutter magnet and it’s getting hard to wade through it to turn on the light.

Rob
    Old 03-29-2021, 06:51 AM

While sitting here in mounds of batting scraps Rob comes to the rescue with a perfect solution. I did piece a couple hunks large enough for one quilt top and now searching for other larger pieces for 2nd top.
    Rob, TYSM for the wonderful suggestion.
    I love all my quilting buddies on the forum. Please don't tell my husband.
    Old 04-01-2021, 03:53 AM

WMUTeach, I’m sure it is a nice feeling of accomplishment...I’ll have to look for that episode of Pat Sloan’s tip. I get regular notifications for Just Get It Done and enjoy her ideas as well.

Rob, I like your suggestion about preparing batting pieces on a day your just looking for some mindless sewing. Now 5 weeks with vertigo or equilibrium issues, It has been hard to focus on a specific project so it would be a good time to piece batting. I am being referred to a neurologist so don’t know when I’ll get an appointment...it’s so frustrating.

I just purchased the retro rack from TNT boards that goes under my ironing board. I had a regular folding ironing board for years but it always felt a little tippy when doing large projects. It also provides a lot more storage space.
    Attached Thumbnails 4c8afa6a-2d18-489a-a3c6-27f06273c9e9.jpeg  
    Old 04-01-2021, 04:20 AM

Jmoore do you have a link where to order your ironing board? Just love it.

Never mind...I found it. https://www.tntquiltboards.com/products.htm

Last edited by Julienm1; 04-01-2021 at 04:24 AM.