Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
  • Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc. >
  • Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

• Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Cottonweeds in Freeport, Maine is a great shop, too. They have a website and they are just down the road from the outlet store and the main LLBean if you are into that kind of shopping, too.
    Ask your daughter about the Marden's in Scarborough (right near the South Portland line). They have an awesome sewing department with prices that will make you faint. $2.99 - 3.99 a yard last time I was there. I can easily spend an hour and a half there but of course, I need to look at every piece of fabric. It's a discount store.
    I agree with Calico Baskets - I can not believe the amount of patterns she carries! And when you go in, it looks like just a converted garage space until you walk into the back room and hear the trumpets flair! (just kidding on the trumpets but you know what I mean). There is also a shop in Cornish Maine - something Rose. You can google for more info.
    Have a great time!
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:26 AM

Oh, and I do like Keepsake, too. If you are in that area, there are other shops too - Quilted Frog in Laconia, Quilting Corner in Tilton, Country Heart Quilters in Plymouth, NH.
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 AM
    Banned

I would not go out of my way to get to Keepsake - it's way over-priced. If it's on your way I'd stop just because it's a quilting institution and they have a ton of fabric.

The Textile Company in Greenfield, Massachusetts has as much fabric, cheaper too.
    Quilted Threads in Henniker NH is a fabulous shop, pricey but has fabric I don't see anywhere else.
    Quilt-a-Way in Bellows Falls VT has lots of fabric, particularly batiks, and is cheaper than any other LQS I frequent.
    Portsmouth Fabric in Portsmouth NH another store with a great selection of fabrics you don't see everywhere.
    Sounds like a great trip - have fun.
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:46 AM

If you are going thru Pa, be sure and check out The Galley in Mercer and Muddy Creek in Portersville, two great shops.
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 AM

Oh my goodness! I'm overwhelmed by the number of responses I'm receiving. Don't stop - please! I created a Word.doc in which to record all the information you're providing. Thanks for the links and comments. I can't wait for this trip. It's going to be the trip of a lifetime. I wonder if I should buy a lottery ticket so I can purchase all the fabric I'm destined to be tempted to buy. :lol: How could I leave a shop empty-handed? The guilt would too much.

Do the outlet stores in Kittery, ME have prices and offerings that make it worth visiting?
    Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM

If you are coming back thru PA, they have incredible quilt stores, mostly in the Lancaster area.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
    If you are coming back thru PA, they have incredible quilt stores, mostly in the Lancaster area.
    Thanks!

We're not sure which route we'll take. Lancaster is in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country, right? We'll definitely be visiting the shops in Ohio's Amish country too.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 AM

there's an incredible shop in Chester, VT, too. I'll have to look up the name.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Please check out Marden's in Maine. It s a hit and miss place but the prices on fabric will make your head spin. You can check then on line and find out what locations sells fabric. I have been saving money and I am going up to sanford maine next week to buy fabric.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    there's an incredible shop in Chester, VT, too. I'll have to look up the name.
    Thank you.

Two years ago I visited a small but well-stocked shop in Bedford, NH. Are you in the area of know the name? I think it's across the street from where the new school is to be (or has since been) built.