Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
  • Heading to Muscatine, Iowa, seeking fabric and yarn shops >
  • Heading to Muscatine, Iowa, seeking fabric and yarn shops

• Heading to Muscatine, Iowa, seeking fabric and yarn shops

Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Also another wonderful place to buy material is Cantrel Iowa but dont know if you want to go that much further south.
    Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM

After eating muscatine melons until you burst I would suggest heading to Kalona IA where they have two fabric stores and the Woodin' Wheel quilt shop with hundreds of wonderful completed quilts. When we are in IA the entire family knows this is one day's trip. also google--"quilt shops iowa" or :fabric shops iowa'. also I think Fons and Porter are there somewhere but can't remember the spot.
    Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ronnie17
    After eating muscatine melons until you burst I would suggest heading to Kalona IA where they have two fabric stores and the Woodin' Wheel quilt shop with hundreds of wonderful completed quilts. When we are in IA the entire family knows this is one day's trip. also google--"quilt shops iowa" or :fabric shops iowa'. also I think Fons and Porter are there somewhere but can't remember the spot.

Fons & Porter are in Winterset, over near Des Moines.
    Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dretha
    I only live about 30 miles south of Muscatine, Iowa. Go to Crazy Girl's Yarn Shop for yarn and to Neal's Sewing Center for fabric. Both are on second street. Not much else to recommend in Muscatine.
    The reason for the trip is I collect vintage buttons, and want to visit the button factories and museum. BFF and I like to take a little road trip in the summer, and we are both stitchers and knitters, so can find lots of ways to give our money away! Thanks for the tips!
    Old 07-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Don't forget to go eat at The Button Factory. The decor is very upscale vintage, you can see some of the machines used to make buttons. I believe that Muscatine was the main supplier/maker of pearl buttons at one time.
    Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 PM

You are welcome. Glad to help.
    Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
    Don't forget to go eat at The Button Factory. The decor is very upscale vintage, you can see some of the machines used to make buttons. I believe that Muscatine was the main supplier/maker of pearl buttons at one time.
    Yes Diane, you are correct. The story (as I heard it) is a German immigrant was wading in the Mississippi, and cut his foot on a clam shell. He had been a button maker in Germany, and saw the shells as free material. Many of the residents made their livings in the button factories. They made 1.5 billion pearl buttons annually. Plastic buttons gradually ended that era. I have thousands of MOP (mother of pearl) buttons and use them for all sorts of things beside buttoning.....jewelry, pins, bracelets, etc. Especially fond of the carved oneS.
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

My best friend since high school lives outside Muscatine on Highway 22. I was raised in the Quad Cities. I also know that Muscatine was known as the Pearl of the Mississippi for years. I go up during Labor Day weekend and stay through the week for a visit. You will also have to eat at The Clamshell, it has been featured on a road trip show about eateries on the Great River Road, along the Mississippi. It is a cute diner, usually closes Labor Day weekend. Enjoy your visit.