Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
  • Quilting groups/shops in Tasmania >
  • Quilting groups/shops in Tasmania

• Quilting groups/shops in Tasmania

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
    Gal

Recently we have learned that we may have to relocate back to Australia, I could not face the heat of Western Australia again (in my old age). We are checking out things in Tassy.
    I was just wondering if there are any board members from that part of the world who can tell me what is available in the way of quilting groups and shops etc of which they have first hand knowledge.
    I would love to hear from you, I have told DH that I am not going to live in the 'sticks', there has to be a LQS/group some place near or I shall just curl up and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou ever so much in advance.

Gal
    Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Gal, I am from Tasmania. Check out www.tasquiltguild.org.au, that has an extensive list of groups and shops depending on where you looking at relocating.

PM me if you want further information.
    Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
    Gal

Many thanks Lynnie, I have sent you a PM. I am so enjoying looking through all the info you put me in touch with, thanks a million!

Gal
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 AM

I presonally do not know any of the shops in Tasmania but I have my mother and father living there and could ask them they would find out for me.
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM

That is the wonderful thing about this site, ask and there you are, answers, Just love it. I wish you well on your move and many special blessings for you. ((((hugs))))
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 PM
    Gal

Many thanks Lynnie Christina and Cheryl yes I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge here on this site and also how everyone is so friendly caring and are willing to share, it is wonderful, It warms the heart to think we are all carrying on the traditions of the quilting bee even if we sometimes have to embrace cyber to do so.

Many thanks
    Gal
    Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 PM

I live in a beautiful part of country Tasmania - Nubeena, which is approx 1 1/2 hours drive from Hobart. I have joined a group of ladies (since moving here 5 years ago) meeting once a week at our local church where we quilt, sew, scrapbook, talk, laugh and enjoy each other's company and our crafts. There is also another quilting group about half an hour away at Murdunna.

As far as shops go, there are a few speciality quilting shops in the Hobart area (I can think of at least 4). Myself I usually buy online from USA and pick up specials occasionally in Hobart.

Our community offers many activities/services for older people in our area. I work in my husband's business (at home) and also do voluntary work, but just in case you didn't realise, I really love it here!!
    Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM
    Gal

Sally thanks for that info, DH is checking 'real estate' and I am checking the LQS, I am impressed with 4 quilt shops in Hobart that is much more than I expected ! Great to hear that one has choices with regard to various groups, there is nothing like hearing first hand, thank you so much.

Gal
    Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM

I enjoy reading the dialogue. The world is so the same generally. Tasmania where can I learn about it? I will google.
    Best luck on your move. It is nice to see that there are members in Tasmania.
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Gal, send me a PM when your travels bring you to Melbourne and we can meet up for a coffee. I assume if you're in Tassie you might be coming to Melbourne from time to time. I live near a Spotlight (ho, hum) but also shop online from Hancock's of Paducah. So if you end up living some distance from a LQS there might just be other/better options online :-)