Road to CA, January 2011

Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Thanks Verna. So you think I should allow 2 days for the vendor mall? Never having gone I really don't know how large it is. :wink:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM

In two days you can visit the vender mall a couple times and see all the quilts.
My friends and I usually go to all the vendors first, sometimes they sell out of their wares,then later on Friday afternoon we look at some of the quilts in the show.
On Saturday we finish looking at the quilts and revisit all the venders that we want to purchase more at or after thinking on it for the night we want to go back and find that special something. Sometimes the quilts will inspire us to revisit a vendor too.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Wow just looking at the link made my head spin, Will have to try to get there, never know what's up at that time o year.
If possible wouldn't mind meeting up w/some of you, Dinner maybe???:)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM

I would love to meet up with other board members. As the day draws close we should try and set up a meeting time and place.
I usually attend this show with 4-6 other ladies from my church quilting group. I'm sure that they would not mind meeting my "board" friends.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Wow just looking at the link made my head spin, Will have to try to get there, never know what's up at that time o year.
If possible wouldn't mind meeting up w/some of you, Dinner maybe???:)
I live REAL close to Ontario!! I would love to meet up with some of my fellow quilters! Just PM me! My husband would be eternally grateful!! :lol: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88158.jpe  
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM

I volunteered at the show last year doing 'white gloves'. Unfortunately, they stuck me in ONE curtain area instead of walking a whole row & by the end of my shift my back & feet were killing me from standing in one spot. So I didn't even look at any of the quilts or vendors. <sigh>.
I'm up for meeting for dinner out there near the show though! Just let me know when. :D
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
I volunteered at the show last year doing 'white gloves'. Unfortunately, they stuck me in ONE curtain area instead of walking a whole row & by the end of my shift my back & feet were killing me from standing in one spot. So I didn't even look at any of the quilts or vendors. <sigh>.
I'm up for meeting for dinner out there near the show though! Just let me know when. :D
Cool! Let's work on planning a get together!! :lol:
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Oh, I should say that it may take a day to see the quilts and a day to see the vendors. It depends on how much time you want to spend on each. I love both and never get to see it all in one day. I usually go with two friends and we are exhausted by about 3 pm.
Verna
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM

A friend and I volunteered there for 4 or 5 years, hanging quilts b4 the show ...so we could really see them up close and personal and take photos with no one blocking them etc. And also as a white glovers which is quite enjoyable, you learn so much about the quilts and sometimes the 'artist' will come by and talk to you and tell you about their quilt. Sharon Schamber and her family did this the 2nd year I was there. So personable, friendly, chatty...just wonderful.

But that was when I lived about 15 mintues away. Since I've moved an hour away I haven't gone back, my friend moved out of state and it just isn't the same anymore. I will have to decide to make myself go in 2011 and enjoy it again.

I must say that it tookus 2-3 days there. We liked seeing all the vendors first and then revisiting those that we wanted to purchase from. If you go on the last day, Sunday, some of the vendors reduce prices cuz they don't want to pack up and haul all that stuff back home again. We never took classes. If you take a class, it can be a whole day and take away from seeing the quilt show.

You will surely enjoy it!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
A friend and I volunteered there for 4 or 5 years, hanging quilts b4 the show ...so we could really see them up close and personal and take photos with no one blocking them etc. And also as a white glovers which is quite enjoyable, you learn so much about the quilts and sometimes the 'artist' will come by and talk to you and tell you about their quilt. Sharon Schamber and her family did this the 2nd year I was there. So personable, friendly, chatty...just wonderful.

But that was when I lived about 15 mintues away. Since I've moved an hour away I haven't gone back, my friend moved out of state and it just isn't the same anymore. I will have to decide to make myself go in 2011 and enjoy it again.

I must say that it tookus 2-3 days there. We liked seeing all the vendors first and then revisiting those that we wanted to purchase from. If you go on the last day, Sunday, some of the vendors reduce prices cuz they don't want to pack up and haul all that stuff back home again. We never took classes. If you take a class, it can be a whole day and take away from seeing the quilt show.

You will surely enjoy it!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Thank you for the info. Tomorrow is the day to register, so I have to make up my mind once and for all about taking a class. Is the selection of items on Sunday really picked over?