Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • $1.00/yrd at Walmart >
  • $1.00/yrd at Walmart

• $1.00/yrd at Walmart

Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 AM

I'm sure Sam and his wife are rolling over in their graves. I was at WM day before yesterday for groceries; many of the shelves were thinly stocked (could it be they got hit hard for Super Bowl parties??).
    It seems that our WalMart is almost always "thinly" stocked. We have 3 WalMarts within 20 minutes of our house and they all are like that. I wonder what is wrong there. :x
    Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM

nice fabric
    Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM

In January, the Walmart that does sell fabric in the Houston area had their Christmas fabrics for (get this) $.61 a yard. Needless to say I went overboard. I will be sending most of it overseas with the World Relief program.I hope the ladies that are learning a trade with this material will mind being dressed sfosr Christmas everyday
    Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 PM

I am a fabric-aholic. The last time I went to a Walmart closing out there fabric, I purchased over 200 yards. And I have discovered no matter how much fabric you have, you never seem to have the right shade or enough yardage, or for some reason the fabric you've collected was not right and you have to go buy more. Oh darn, I have to go shopping again!!
    Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 PM

That is such pretty fabric! I was at our Walmart today and they didn't have any $1.00 fabric. I will keep looking!! :lol:

I live in a tri-city area and we have several Walmarts within a 45 minute drive. All of them are super centers but only 2 still have a fabric dept. The WM closest to me has a very busy fabric department. There is always a customer needing fabric cut. Maybe that is why they haven't closed it.

When the Hancock Fabrics were closing all their stores, the store here and in Johnson City didn't close. One of the employees told me that these 2 stores were some of their highest sellers with over a million dollars annually.

This area must have a lot of sewers. You never go into one of the fabric store/departments without it being very busy.
    Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by nellebelles
    I'm sure Sam and his wife are rolling over in their graves. I was at WM day before yesterday for groceries; many of the shelves were thinly stocked (could it be they got hit hard for Super Bowl parties??).
    It seems that our WalMart is almost always "thinly" stocked. We have 3 WalMarts within 20 minutes of our house and they all are like that. I wonder what is wrong there. :x

Ok, here's the deal about Wal-Mart. One of the reasons they are getting rid of the fabric dept. is because most stores take a loss in that dept. The mark-up is so little on the fabric and they also sell alot of it below cost. They do this to get you into the store and hopefully get you to buy other things. That is why they move items around in the store alot so you have to walk by other items you might not normally buy and hopefully buy them. As far as the empty shelves go they have started a new program where everything that comes in on the trucks goes straight to the sales floor. They do not want any back stock in the backroom. Problem with that is POS (point of sales at the registers) can't keep up. The system orders as the items goes through the registers. But if the average sales of 1 item a day is lets say 4 per day but the next customer buys 10, now that is 14 in one day it just threw the average daily sale out the window because according to their past sales they should have only sold 4. Great new system huh! As far as Wal-Mart becoming self service that is true. They want the service depts. to go away. Just think when you go in to buy paint. They will be getting in already mixed paint. The only choice of colors you will have will be what they stock. No more custom colors. The whole reason to do this is less employees. It's all about the money. I know too much huh :shock:
    Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 PM

ya an when they do all that they will lose the customers the be cause they need something an can't find it an with nobody there to help they'll go were they get the service.thats what my first boss lady taught me.the ones you help are the ones that will be back for the good service.
    Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I am so tired of WM and the changes they are making. We here in Murray don't have much of a choice but to shop there. We would have to drive well over an hour to shop at Target or 45 min for K-mart. We have dollar gnenral, freds, big lots, save a lot and a few other small stores but they don't carry all that i need to buy and sometimes they are more expensive.
    Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM

I bought some of that fabric. atotal of 5 one dollar pieces...its there 2.44 fabric...discontinued. our walmart has a lot of different price points on fabric. From 2.00 to 7.00 in cotton
    Old 02-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Our WM still has fabric, but the dept has downsized. When they remodeled, I know the company got a lot of static that the fabric dept was closing, and so they were allowed to keep it. I was visiting some friends in a city east of here and was told their WM no longer has fabric...WM is only shooting themselves by discontinuing this service, as well as any others that require customer service.