Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • "Candescence" >
  • "Candescence"

• "Candescence"

Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Billswife...thanks for the input.

Would love to see the quilt you created once you finished cutting long enough to piece it all together ... :-D

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Oh dear, just click on my name and look at my topics posted. Most of them are OBW. :wink:
    Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
    Katrine.... yes, 'Glaze over' is exactly what I do! Thanks for understanding.

OK, I will do as you say about being prepared to start.

Now quick question... until I get the book in front of me (from the library), how much yardage of fabric do you recommend? Oh, not for a huge quilt but maybe a large wall hanging? I don't think I have enough yardage of one appropriate fabric right now and will need to go shopping. oh shame.

Sue, you would need 6 patterns repeats. Measure the pattern repeat along the selvedge edge. I usually then round up with say another half yard at least to give me some extra - you might want to use a bit of the original print on the back or in a border. Fabric patterns are normally in increments of 4". I usually use something with at least a 16 inch repeat - the smaller prints do not give such interesting kaleidoscopes. The subject of this thread was 16" and the hanging is about 49" square with borders - think I had 3 or 4 blocks spare. So you would have needed 6 x 16" = 2.6 yards (I bought 3 metres).
    The bigger the repeat the more blocks you will get.
    My "Pirouettes" OBW was 24" and there was enough for 2 hangings, or a one larger quilt.

You will read all this advice in the book and more.

There is no waste in cutting either.

One thing - you say you don't have enough yardage of a suitable fabric now at home - which may be already washed.
    Do not prewash your fabric for this technique! You will have trouble lining up the repeats.

Have fun shopping!!
    Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by billswife99
    Sue, I'm the same way about learning from the book. I did buy this book and thought it would be years before I could do it because I was so new to quilting and really didn't know much at all. Not even the basic terms.
    I read this book all the way thru twice before I finally started. If I got confused on a part, I would just read that part over and over till I could get a handle on it. Then when I finally decided to get started, (one whole year later) I kept the book open and went step by step. It took me all day to cut the first time I tried it. I was so scared!! But I'm so glad I tried it, the only problem now it that I can't stop! :roll:
    Bill's wife - ha ha - isn't it a weird scary feeling when you make the 1st cut on your first one! Been there!
    Old 01-26-2010, 04:46 AM
    Banned

Very Pretty
    Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Katrine, thanks for the reply with yardage! Just knowing about the repeats will be what I need to know to get my fabric.

I am one of those that do NOT prewash fabrics, except reds and blacks.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM

That is the most AMAZING quilt I have ever seen. Wow!
    Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 PM

Very awesome!
    Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
    Originally Posted by wraez
    Katrine.... yes, 'Glaze over' is exactly what I do! Thanks for understanding.

OK, I will do as you say about being prepared to start.

Now quick question... until I get the book in front of me (from the library), how much yardage of fabric do you recommend? Oh, not for a huge quilt but maybe a large wall hanging? I don't think I have enough yardage of one appropriate fabric right now and will need to go shopping. oh shame.

Sue, you would need 6 patterns repeats. Measure the pattern repeat along the selvedge edge. I usually then round up with say another half yard at least to give me some extra - you might want to use a bit of the original print on the back or in a border. Fabric patterns are normally in increments of 4". I usually use something with at least a 16 inch repeat - the smaller prints do not give such interesting kaleidoscopes. The subject of this thread was 16" and the hanging is about 49" square with borders - think I had 3 or 4 blocks spare. So you would have needed 6 x 16" = 2.6 yards (I bought 3 metres).
    The bigger the repeat the more blocks you will get.
    My "Pirouettes" OBW was 24" and there was enough for 2 hangings, or a one larger quilt.

You will read all this advice in the book and more.

There is no waste in cutting either.

One thing - you say you don't have enough yardage of a suitable fabric now at home - which may be already washed.
    Do not prewash your fabric for this technique! You will have trouble lining up the repeats.

Have fun shopping!!
    Something to add on here about how much fabric to buy. It depends on several things: what the repeat measurement is in the print (looking along the selvage), the size of the main shapes in the print ( 3" shapes probably would look better in 3 1/2" strips & a larger motif would look better in a wider strip), the width you'll be cutting your strips to make your half hexagons and finally the finished size of the quilt.
    If I make my strips 3 1/2" wide I can usually get about 11 or 12 triangles from one strip set. If your strips will be wider, then your triangles will be also, therefore you'll get 9 triangles from a stacked strip set that's 4.5" wide. Lots of things to think about, I know. Usually, if the repeat is 12" or less, I'd get twice the amount of fabric for hexagons = 12 repeats plus another yard or more for border or backing. For me it really depends on the fabric print.
    I've made only 2 OBW's that were from one fabric print. Two have been made from 3 and four different fabric prints. Totally different prints, not just the same print in different colors, like they showed in "One Block Wonders Oncore". I'm in the middle of sewing the strips together now for one that has four fabric prints in it. It's for our best friend's cabin in northern MN. So there's a fish print, a loons on the lake print, deer heads (bucks, does and fawns), and evergreen needles. We measured the wall at New Year's to make sure it would fit. When it's finished I'll get a pic. on here.
    Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I look forward to seeing that FWL - it's been in my mind for a while to try and combine 2 different fabrics. :-D