Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date >
  • 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

• 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

Old 09-29-2009, 03:34 PM
    Power Poster

Wow Melanie....its a beauty!!! (pun intended...!) I get to work on it....and I'm so excited! She will be huge by the time I get her....but I get to finish it up, so my wait will be a long one, but getting to watch it grow....ooooh la la!!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
    Banned

Hey All Y'all,

Sandpat wanted me to point out something that I learned the hard way. I have to confess that I didn't read her IRR letter all the way to the end, like I should have. I read the beginning mail instructions, and the list of names, mailing dates, round sizes, etc., but my bad, not the very end, and it actually bit me on the keister in the latest doll quilt swap.

My partner in the swap is in Canada, and I mailed her quilt via the USPS. Just because I figured they would be less likely to lose an insured package, I insured it for $200.00, an amount that I just picked off the top of my head. The cost of the insurance was negligible to me. However Canadian Customs charged the recipient more than $30.00 in taxes based on the insured value. I was/am SO embarrassed and feel so badly for my partner. Imagine having to pay to receive your package! Of course I will reimburse her, but it's a valuable lesson for anyone who has to mail to Canada or International.

I think in the future I will use Fed-Ex for bigger packages, more valuable stuff, because for some reason I trust them more than the USPS not to lose something. Several years ago I shipped all of my original genealogy research ahead of me on a trip, and I uses Fed-Ex. Now, mind you, this was absolutely irreplaceable documents. (It was before I had a laptop), and I trusted them not to lose it.
    Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
    Power Poster

after reading about this in the Doll Quilt swap, i was wondering about the insurance. I will be mailing to Ireland each time. I need to find out the best way to go. I don't want lacelady to have to pay every time she gets a package from me. So , does anyone know the best way to do this?
    Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Hey All Y'all,

Sandpat wanted me to point out something that I learned the hard way. I have to confess that I didn't read her IRR letter all the way to the end, like I should have. I read the beginning mail instructions, and the list of names, mailing dates, round sizes, etc., but my bad, not the very end, and it actually bit me on the keister in the latest doll quilt swap.

My partner in the swap is in Canada, and I mailed her quilt via the USPS. Just because I figured they would be less likely to lose an insured package, I insured it for $200.00, an amount that I just picked off the top of my head. The cost of the insurance was negligible to me. However Canadian Customs charged the recipient more than $30.00 in taxes based on the insured value. I was/am SO embarrassed and feel so badly for my partner. Imagine having to pay to receive your package! Of course I will reimburse her, but it's a valuable lesson for anyone who has to mail to Canada or International.

I think in the future I will use Fed-Ex for bigger packages, more valuable stuff, because for some reason I trust them more than the USPS not to lose something. Several years ago I shipped all of my original genealogy research ahead of me on a trip, and I uses Fed-Ex. Now, mind you, this was absolutely irreplaceable documents. (It was before I had a laptop), and I trusted them not to lose it.
    A couple of comments from a Canadian who receives MANY packages from the USA.
    - Canada customs will always charge GST on the insured value of a package
    - FedEx will charge brokerage fees equal to the GST and they do not deliver to all places in Canada
    - can money replace a lost quilt? Why not send the items declared as gifts with a lower value? That way the recipient will not pay duty. A tracking number can still be used and signature required on delivery. What is the $$ value of a quilt that we should be using when insuring it?
    Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Ninnie
    after reading about this in the Doll Quilt swap, i was wondering about the insurance. I will be mailing to Ireland each time. I need to find out the best way to go. I don't want lacelady to have to pay every time she gets a package from me. So , does anyone know the best way to do this?

Ninnie, ask Lacelady. She'll know.
    Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Why not send the items declared as gifts with a lower value? That way the recipient will not pay duty. A tracking number can still be used and signature required on delivery. What is the $$ value of a quilt that we should be using when insuring it?

That is what we are trying to figure out, and you guys in Canada would know best what value we should declare. $25.00? or nothing or how much? You guys in Canada are the ones who will have to pay for it, so you tell us.
    Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

My 2 cents worth (and that's euro cents :wink: ) - the centres are irreplaceable so no amount of insurance will cover the loss. Plus doesn't it make the package appear more valuable to potential thieves? In the same way as I put 'fabric scraps' or just 'merchandise' on the description rather than 'quilt' when I mail something. I would just put 'gift' on the label and no value, and trust to luck. Haven't had any problem yet with things arriving. I'm happy for my rooster to make the rounds like that but I guess it's up to the individual. And then any loss is at MY door - not my fellow group members. :D
    Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Ninnie

Here's my experience of what happened to me. Some scraps were left in the last IRR that had been preveiously cut away from one of the rounds with a little note attached to me anyhow it was sent back to me in error as it was thought to me mine. It had a value of $50 put to it & a description of Fabric Pieces. I was charged £4.79 VAT & then another £8.00 in Handling Administration fees - not a happy bunny. That equates to almost £13.00 to you thats $20. I then had to drive over the other side of the city to pay & collect it. Anyhow my point it please, please, please ensure that when you send your items over here to tick the GIFT BOX & also please do not exceed £36 in value as that's where we get stung.!!!!!!

I tried to claim this back through Customs & Excise but was told it was an error that was made at the senders end & not here.

So just be aware otherwise it could work out expensive for us over here on the pond.

Tisha :D
    Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 AM

I always check GIFT on the Customs Form and then on the right side, there is another box that you can check off if the item is non deliverable. ALWAYS check RETURN TO SENDER!
    I will put a value of $20 in the amount and either write clothes or fabric on the contents. The only time I have put insurance on anything was sending Patti's center back to her and she got it fine and also for the Hugs & Kisses Quilts, which I found out that Sharons' sister had to pay Duty Tax on. Her post office is WRONG with charging her a duty tax. There is none for the US, according to the post office here.
    But, in ALL cases....MARK GIFT!
    Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 AM

I've been marking "gift" on the customs form with a description of "used fabric" and an amount of "$5". Hopefully this has worked out for everyone receiving.