Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date >
  • 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

• 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 PM

mamatobugboo I love what you've chosen, even more than what I decided on. I hope I get to work on yours and see it up close and personal.
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
    Banned

i love the birds, are those chickadees?
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Wow, you are all doing so well.

LoriJ love your centre, looks very hard for me to do though.

Steph, that is amazing I love your applique work.

PeaceandJoy that star is terrific. WTG

Elle
    Elle - this is just hte pattern picture! HOPEFULLY I can do it as well as the picture shows!!
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
    mamatobugboo I love what you've chosen, even more than what I decided on. I hope I get to work on yours and see it up close and personal.
    Nor, then I certainly hope we are together!
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i love the birds, are those chickadees?
    They are chickadees - my favorite bird...along with cardinals and cedar waxwings....maybe I could change up the design abit and make one chickadee, one cardinal and a cedar waxwing!

Now, to find a c.waxwing pattern :wink:
    Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM

Everyone's centers are looking great!
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Oh those chickadees are sooo cute! They are always so animated outside our windows. A joy to see, especially in the winter.

My star.... Hmmm... The fabrics were cut (using a template I had to make - ugh! - no rotary cutting) individually, some from my scrap basket and some from my stash. What came from my stash I immediately folded & put back, which is not generally my style. However, having had to refold and organize recently, which took a lot of time, I've "promised" myself never to make that mess again.

Anyhow, when I ended up with 70 different pieces, I started putting them together, figuring I had a few extra for choice. The pattern calls for units of 4, making a triangle. A row of 3, lt dk lt, with a lt point. Then do the reverse; sew together to make a diamond. Alternate w/ a lt or dk in center and sometimes using a medium that could be either lt or dk depending on the neighbor. Given those guidelines, I really tried not to match colors, or worry too much about too many greens in one area. However, as it was on the wall near my computer, my eye kept traveling over to it and I kept moving some of them. Too many lights in one area, too many obvious florals, etc. I tried to let it be as much as possible. 8) but I struggle with that.

I've heard of the paper bag method, too. Actually, I think I might just do that one day with the scraps that I've started cutting. When I first started quilting, I read a magazine article that talked about matching/coordinating fabrics - colors, prints, etc. - and the problems people have with it. This particular teacher actually did a class where everyone brought x number of 2 1/2 in squares. Upon arrival, they were all tossed into a bin, mixed up, and each participant got a bag full. At the end of the day, they all loved their scrap quilts, I think they were 9 patches. Her point was that we try too hard, sometimes making ourselves not enjoy the process.

This evening I've started putting in the setting pieces. Inset seams. :evil: Where's the starch, I WILL make this lay nicely. :roll: I assure you here and now that I will NOT even attempt to put inset seams anywhere on the borders that I apply to anyone else's top! 64 little pieces went together no problem, points match and aren't cut off, but when I try to put in a six inch square, forget it!! Ugh. I'm doubly irritated b/c there will be no time to touch this for a week.

One thing I am wondering - other than what the magic is to getting inset seams right - is that this is supposed to end up at 18 3/4" square, according to the magazine. Is that okay, or should I add a narrow border to bring it to an even measurement, such as 20 inches? I didn't know if the odd size would be difficult to work with?
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
    Banned

peace

if it wouldn't ruin the design then bringing it up to 20 inches (it would be 20.5 with the seam allowance) would really help the next person. it would allow them to calculate a pieced border without their brain exploding from the math.

but you can always wait until we're in groups and ask your specific group if it matters either way to them.
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
    Power Poster

Wow...the center are really coming along AND the ideas look wonderful too! I did pull out a couple of possibilities for mine today, but no go yet.

Klue...thanks for the input, I would agree...20.5 unfinished would be much easier for the next person to work with peace. If you can work that out, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Now..on another note, we had 1 mind changer...so we have another USA slot...anyone??? I'll be posting it on the sign up thread.
    Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 PM

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HcdP7nulln...n%3F%3D-787977[/img]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HcdP7nulln...n%3F%3D-715577[/img]

Well, there you go ladies. Pictures of my almost finished round robin center. Although my robin isn't too round. (I couldn't resist adding a bird...) It is a bonton box pattern, which I had always wanted to try.