Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date >
  • 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

• 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm just a lurker, but I haven't seen any rules about how big your center has to be. It gets bigger with each border that is added! I think it's beautiful just as it is.
    Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Okay, I am seriously overwhelmed by the spectacular centers floating around here. There are going to be some real show-stopper quilts in a couple of years. :)

I'm looking for a second opinion on my center. I like the geometric look and puzzles, so finally settled on a knot. Here's my dilemma. I knew the block would be a little small but thought I would just add a border to beef it up. Now that it's done, something in me is resisting adding a border to what will have more borders added to it. I have drawn up two rough options that are larger. Here's my question......does it look funny with the extra row added and does making it a rectangle instead of a square wreck it? Guess that's two questions! :D :D
    I like the second option (on the right) better, and you will end up with a bigger quilt if you do that. I am not so keen on the rectangular version, but that might be partly because my eye keeps going to what looks like a missing bit in the top right corner.
    Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Okay this one is finally finished.

24 1/2" square.
    It's lovely Elle, and I get my mits on it, but sadly, not 'til the very end!
    Old 09-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Elle, I love your center! It's GORGEOUS!! Send it to me!!

b.zang...I love yours! There's so many possibilities for it!
    Old 09-07-2009, 03:37 PM

Okay, I am seriously overwhelmed by the spectacular centers floating around here. There are going to be some real show-stopper quilts in a couple of years. :)

I'm looking for a second opinion on my center. I like the geometric look and puzzles, so finally settled on a knot. Here's my dilemma. I knew the block would be a little small but thought I would just add a border to beef it up. Now that it's done, something in me is resisting adding a border to what will have more borders added to it. I have drawn up two rough options that are larger. Here's my question......does it look funny with the extra row added and does making it a rectangle instead of a square wreck it? Guess that's two questions! :D :D
    I love your knot center. The option on the right looks like a true continuation of the knot design. :D If you want the center larger go with it. :-) I have been told that the changes we often make in our quilts, whether a change in fabric or design are what make them special, and usually better than what we envisioned. :D Keep up the good work. :!:
    Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
    Beautiful Elle!! Can't wait to see what your group comes up with! I'm really excited about my Group 8 and all the cool centers. Chrys gets mine first! I get saravincent first! Then ninnie, kwhite and chewboo. What a terriffic group huh!!!!!!!!
    Yippee, this is a great group. I've seen your centers and am excited. I worry about not making a round that is as wonderful as the centers. Wish mailing dates were here. For those of you in my group, I have a correction to both my email AND my mailing address. Sara
    Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 PM

need help i am doing h 13 and first did it with the green x now i have tried one with a tone on tone gold which is better
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-25131.jpe  
    Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM

OK I have lost my MARBLES guess i am in too many things will put into corretc place
    Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM
    Power Poster

Oh Elle, I love that center!!!! Its beeeeuuuuteeeemous! I can envision lots of great borders to go with that one, its going to be tons of fun to work on!
    Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 PM
    Power Poster

I like the center. I can't really see the size of the original, so I can't say whether its too small or not. You can be anywhere from 12.5 to 24.5...either square or rectangular.

As far as adding a border to beef it up...I think your addition actually looks like a continuation of the original design, especially if you keep it square (which I prefer of your 2 designs-no reason, just a personal thing).
    I would suppose that the next round will take a different course. I would either make this larger if you need to, keeping it square. I would not add another border that appears to be "another border" at this stage. Does that make sense??