Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Adoption complete - New mommy needs help :) >
  • Adoption complete - New mommy needs help :)

• Adoption complete - New mommy needs help :)

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Sharonanne, I am in the market for the same thing! Can you tell me a good place to get a good used one??? thanks :)
    Not sure if you mean the sewing machine or the card reader. My SIL sells embroidery machines at a local JoAnn Fabrics and someone she knows had one for sale because she was going to upgrade to a Babylock. That's how I came by that. The card reader - well I am bidding on a couple on eBay, but if I don't win them, I will go to Amazon or directly to Brother website with a discount code or coupon. With eBay, the shipping is free on my bids, but elsewhere you have to pay freight (although it is relatively minimal). Just search on Brother PED Basic on the internet and you have a variety of options. Hope that helps. Sharon
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Originally Posted by Up North
    I have a brother SE350 and bought the PED basic I can download all the freebies off the net and just love mu machine! I got mine at Amazon was about $112.00 but Worth every penny!
    Donna, you got the machine for 112.00??????
    Wow, hope I read this right! :D:D
    I got my sewing machine for $125 (a real steal, huh?). Could not pass that up.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
    Congratulations Sharon Anne . You appear to know this is another addiction. So is surfing the net for freebies. Some are great while others are junk. Designs by Sick offer free hourly downloads as well as daily ones. Embroidery Library is also a good site. Maybe not as many freebies but lots of sale prices.
    I also love machine applique so go to Adorable Applique weekly where you can buy some designs for 7 cents each and have to spend a minimum of $5.00. The dearest any of these are is $3.00.
    A word of advice that was given to me when I started was to keep a note of where each design came from. I would get carried away and think I'll do it later, I'll remember. Guess what...I didn't
    Now I open a folder for any new site and put the designs straight into the appropriate folder. Much easier to find what I want quickly. Also when you start writing designs to cards keep track in a note book what you have put on the cards.
    I have about 35 cards and still can lose track and load something that is already on another card.
    I hope some of this will save you unnecessary work down the track. You are in for such a fun time.
    What wonderful suggestions. I have already made a spreadsheet for threads I have purchased and the numbers and colors so I can cross reference brands, etc. (all 2 of them so far - lol).

And I know about finding things on cards. Especially photos - I rename them what I think is logical, but 6 months later, my logic has changed and I cannot find the photo I want. Live and learn. I had not heard of Adorable, but it will be on my priority list to visit today!! Thanks again. Sharon
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM
    Power Poster

Congrats on the new machine!
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

You can get an ultimate box and it has a card with it or you can got to the All brands site to get a card from them at a reasonalble price I have 2 embroidery machines and I don't do much embroidery any more as my eyes are not what they used to be. Also you can purchase Embird to read and write the designs to the cards. There is a software you can install on your computer so you can install the ultimate box on it too. You will get a free trial of Embird on the card and then you'll have the option to purchase it. My ultimate box quilt working so I took Embird out of my computer. Huggies, Fay
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

Sharonanne,thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking for an embroidery machine and there's lots of good info :)
    Enjoy yours!!!!!!! :D:D
    Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
    RDM

I have an older Brother embroidery machine. Yes you do need a card reader to download from computer to machine for the older ones. I recall it wasn't expensive. Check out Brother's website for info then ebay again-you may find one. Have fun with it. For embroidery mine works great. Be careful with freebie downloads, audition first, as some do not fill in well.
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM

In Embird toy can bring up the design and see how it stitches out before you write it ot the card. It's really neat. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:13 PM

I have one also. I love it and have lots of designs from ebay I use all the time.
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I also have the Brother SE 350... I love it.. my only complaint is I wish I had a bigger design area. My machine can only do a 4x4 area. I have tons of free sites to get FREE emb designs.. I also have the ped basic.. which I got off Amazon....
    I'm still in the early learning stages but have completed quite a few projects... from placemats/bath towels, pillow cases/ shirts/ purses/ toddler dresses/ christmas items/ quilts.
    PM me if I can help..... I bought a great book ( again Amazon...... Basic Embroidery Essentials.. invaluable!)
    Many thanks for your offer of help. I'd love to see pictures of some of your work. Can you also design your own? Anyway, I'm sure I'll be asking for help in the near future. Happy Thursday.