Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Affairs of the Heart - Block #8 Photos >
  • Affairs of the Heart - Block #8 Photos

• Affairs of the Heart - Block #8 Photos

Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM

There are some good things that I'm doing. My circles are oh, so much better -- they are actually ROUND!!!! :lol: :lol: My hearts are getting pointy bottoms and nice, dips in the tops!!! I see where I am improving, but I was just so sad when my flower turned out the way it did. :cry: :cry:
    Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Patty donīt beat yourself up. when you have done one block and you know you can improve on it then you are already half way there.

Honestlyit doesnīt look that bad.
    Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
    Power Poster

Patty your block is beautiful. Love your colors. I feel privileged to be part of this group, so caring and sharing. I am learning all the time.
    Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Elle, I agree with what you said about being able to improve and being half way there. I KNOW there are areas where my skills are getting so-o-o-o much better, and I'm very happy about that. I'm going to focus on what is good about my blocks, and if I really can't stand a particular block once all the blocks are completely finished, I will then decide if I want to redo any of them. I probably won't because once they are all finished and the good ones and the bads ones are mixed in together I won't notice the yuckies as much as I do when I'm looking at a single block. :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You are all so very kind. Your comments are so uplifting and encouraging. I don't feel defeated, but I sure wish I could make a block that turns out completely "right." :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
    Power Poster

Patty, your block doesn't have to be PRECISELY the same as in the book. The centre petals that you say look like X's - you could remedy some of that by putting a slightly bigger circle in the middle (no shame in that at all - and would save doing over the whole thing). And it doesn't matter if your hearts don't quite touch as per in the book. I would aim for symmetry within the block rather than getting everything exactly as per the book, after all, you are doing your embroidery better than in the book, so you wouldn't want that to look the same, would you.

Finally, hold off on redoing anything for a little while - as others have said, you truly don't notice anything much wrong when in with a crowd of blocks.

Edit: Forgot to add - check out the earlier pages of the block threads, that's where I put pics of mine as I constructed them, and they might help you a little.
    Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Great Patty, I am glad you are not going to do them unless you feel they are glaring at you. When I started DJ there were a few that really did not go together too good. So I waited till the end. I did redo a few, but beliee by that time I was an expert at those little 4" blocks and they didnīt feel nearly so bad.
    Old 07-12-2011, 02:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Great Patty, I am glad you are not going to do them unless you feel they are glaring at you. When I started DJ there were a few that really did not go together too good. So I waited till the end. I did redo a few, but beliee by that time I was an expert at those little 4" blocks and they didnīt feel nearly so bad.
    It makes me feel so much more comfortable to know that we can all share and not have to feel shamed.
    I am such a ripper! I've gotten too, "not so young", to be doing all that!
    So, I am going to try to focus on just getting this thing made and enjoy the colors and the process.
    ...hope I don't have to eat my words. we are such self task masters, aren't we? but that makes us improve ;-)
    I know I will love my quilt in the end...even if I am bald and tear stained...LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
    It makes me feel so much more comfortable to know that we can all share and not have to feel shamed.
    So, I am going to try to focus on just getting this thing made and enjoy the colors and the process.
    ...hope I don't have to eat my words. we are such self task masters, aren't we? but that makes us improve ;-)
    I know I will love my quilt in the end...even if I am bald and tear stained...LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Well said, Mousie!!! Well, said!!!! Maybe I should order my wig now so I have it ready!!!!! :lol: :lol: Should I go blond this time around?? :shock: Since the day I was born, I've always had black hair -- except it now comes out of a bottle :oops: :oops: -- so perhaps it's time for a change??!! :roll:
    Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
    Power Poster

OK new blondie....You have to remember that anyone looking at your block is NOT also looking at a book or a forum thread of lots of the same block. Who's to say that you block isn't the "right" one and the others different??? Once you get them all done and put together...it becomes your QUILT...not a bunch of blocks. Really dearheart....it looks good to me, I actually like your fabric choices...thats what I see...a really happy cheerful block! Great job!
    Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pab58
    Originally Posted by Mousie
    Well said, Mousie!!! Well, said!!!! Maybe I should order my wig now so I have it ready!!!!! :lol: :lol: Should I go blond this time around?? :shock: Since the day I was born, I've always had black hair -- except it now comes out of a bottle :oops: :oops: -- so perhaps it's time for a change??!! :roll:
    oh my gosh patty! did you hear me laughing out loud????
    Like you, if I get a wig...I am staying 'natural' :wink: :wink: :wink: - blonde.
    maybe I'll go ala Marilyn Monroe this time :lol: