Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Best Thread Rack EVER >
  • Best Thread Rack EVER

• Best Thread Rack EVER

Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 AM
    Swap Hosts

Here are instructions from another group:

Buy a 2' x 4' sheet of pegboard at Lowes or Home Depot. The standard size of the holes is 1/4".

Buy about 8-10 1/4" wooden dowel rods. They are 48" long. The number of dowel rods you buy is determined by how many pegs you want. Cut the rods into 4" lengths for the short spools and 6" lengths for the big spools.

Now comes the fun part. Lay the pegboard down on the floor or a table with newspaper under it to catch the glue drips!

Start at the top corner (either one) on the SECOND HOLE IN. Put a dab of white glue on the end of the cut dowel rod and insert into the hole at a slight upward angle.

Skip TWO holes and insert your next dowel piece. Continue on this way across the top. With this configuration you will have 16 pegs for spools per row.

For the second row start on the THIRD row down and repeat what you did for the top row.

By the time you've finished you will have 144 pegs for 144 spools of thread.

If you are using both the large and the small spools then when you get about 1/2 way down the pegboard leave THREE holes between each peg and THREE holes between rows and use the 6" long rods. The layout is pretty much up to you.

To attach to the wall: screw a 1"x2"x4' into the studs and then screw the pegboard to that rather than the wall itself. This way the top of the pegboard is set away from the wall and no little dowel stumpies will punch small holes in the wall. You don't need one at the bottom. You can paint it before hanging or leave natural.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 AM

That is beautiful. It could well be from a louvered door - how clever!

A couple thoughts from a newbie here who doesn't have more than a little desk drawer with some bobbins rolling around in it - - doesn't cotton thread 'go bad' eventually? Ditto for poly/blends?

And how do you keep this apparatus clean? I'm constantly dusting up my sewing area and running a finger across anything fabric might touch. If I don't use something at least a couple times a week I want it out of sight. (Of course in an old house the historic dust creeps in whenever you step on a creaky floorboard!)
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 AM
    Power Poster

That is such a great idea. You have to utilize every inch of space available. And this sure does that
    Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew

A couple thoughts from a newbie here who doesn't have more than a little desk drawer with some bobbins rolling around in it - - doesn't cotton thread 'go bad' eventually? Ditto for poly/blends?

And how do you keep this apparatus clean? I'm constantly dusting up my sewing area and running a finger across anything fabric might touch. If I don't use something at least a couple times a week I want it out of sight. (Of course in an old house the historic dust creeps in whenever you step on a creaky floorboard!)
    Suesew...I have the same exact thoughts. While I drooled over all the ideas for different rack ideas I remembered why I stopped buying the racks...dust! yes dust eats away at everything in my house. I do have my machines covered & have vinyl over the 2 thread racks I have on the wall but no matter how much I try to keep up on the dusting its a never ending battle because I live in a area that constantly has a breeze or high gusty winds. I have tried not opening doors or windows...hated it. So all that being said, someone here on the board made a thread storage in a drawer tower . She just took small pieces of dowel rods [or you might use golf tees} & glued them in the drawers. I do plan on using that idea.
    I do apologize I didn't save the creators name but thank-you for sharing.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-212197.jpe  
    Old 04-17-2015, 08:08 PM

Default why so much thread?

I am guessing that this large collection of thread belongs to someone who does embroidery work. Machine embroidery (ME) uses a lot more thread than sewing or serging. And often, those who do ME buy across the rainbow to have what they need for the various projects. General sewists tend to by thread for each project so the color build up is less. I have about 60 spools of sewing thread and 30 for serging, including the wooly kind for a nice satin edge.

Keeping it inside doors is a good way to keep the dust from accumulating too fast, but it will still find its way inside. I like mine in a cabinet with glass front doors. I want to see the color, it is party of the beauty of joy of our craft. I do not have large amounts of sun getting into my sewing area so I'm ok with that.

Michelle

Originally Posted by SueSew

Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 AM
    Power Poster

That is a massive amount of thread. Good job.
    Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 AM

Thank you for sharing this idea. Wonderful!
    Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

yes, thanks for sharing
    Old 06-18-2017, 12:29 PM
    Power Poster

WOW how great.
    Old 06-18-2017, 02:08 PM

That's an awesome idea. Unfortunately for me, I don't have any large wall space in my sewing room that I want to dedicate to thread and don't like that back of the door idea. I have 3 medium sized wall racks that hold most of my thread. Whatever doesn't fit on those is in a plastic box. I don't really have that much trouble with dust so that's not an issue for me.