Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Bill's &BonBon's Garden >
  • Bill's &BonBon's Garden

• Bill's &BonBon's Garden

Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM

You have been busy!!!
    But it is so worth it...
    I'm still waiting for tomatoes to ripen!
    K
    Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM

Great Garden BonBon! And wow! All those lovely jars of veggies! I am not a gardener (my Dad said it's genetic :wink: ), but once my girlfriend & I attempted to do some canning - we tried to make pomegranite jelly. With no recipe & no experience, we did manage to make some nice pomegranite sauce! lol
    Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the post! I am so envious of your garden, I haven't had one in abouto 5 years but am hoping to have one next year. I wish you lived close to me and you could teach me how to do all of the canning and freezing, I have wanted to learn for a long time. Maybe I can find someone at church who can's and can teach me if I offer to help them. I bet your garden looked fabulous at it's height, the pictures make me want to go outside and start digging! lol!!!
    Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 AM

[Oh well, it is my first year trying to grow stuff in Florida. Next year will be better!

[/quote] Hi Quiltmaker101, FL. or the part of FL. where I came from. Lake Okeechobee,PalmBeachCo. Most of the farming is done in the winter. GreenBeans,Peppers,corn are usually harvested in the winter months. things grow super fast around the Big Lake because of the Muck. It is organic. When they burn the sugar cane sometimes they catch the muck on fire. It sometimes is years before they can put it out. It smolders underground. It is a dark Black rich soil. Tomatoes don't grow very well on the muck. But in Clewiston and Immokalee which is sandyer that is the best tomatoes in the world. Ok done with FL. I am in GA. Summer crops here. :P :lol: :lol: Oh yea. I will tell him to water around it before sunup and after sundown. OhMYGosh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Bill'sBonBon

Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Hi BonBon, I'm a newbie to the forum but I have been reading what you guy's write for the last two years. I moved to NC from FT. Lauderdale in 2006. I have a small farm and farm animals and last year I had my garden doing good until the deer, my chickens, my goats (that love to get loose) and everything else that comes out of the woods decided to come for dinner every day. This year because of the drought I decided not to start a garden. I do miss my garden in Fla. I had brought some fruit and vegetable seeds from Puerto Rico and I had my little spanish garden going.
    I would love to do some canning never done that before, maybe next spring you could give me some tips.
    Enjoy your veggies, I envy you.
    Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM

Great garden Bonnie :D Sorry about the beets I love them :( :( :(
    Wow you have sweet potatoes and okra yummmmmmmmymmmmmmmmyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
    Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Bill'sBonBon!!! There you are, I was wondering where you've been. Should have known you were being busy as ever!!! LOL Your canned goods look AWESOME!! And if your garden is on the decline, I wish mine would decline like that!!! LOL I have gotten several pickings of swisschard, turnip and mustard greens put up. I've gotten one harvest of green beans, still waiting on the tomatos to start turning red. We've got tons of them, they're just taking their time to ripen!! Our carrots are almost big enough to dig up, and we should have some potatoes soon too. I have one eggplant almost ready to pick and about a half dozen or so just starting to develope. I've gotten 3 green peppers so far. My eggplant and green peppers sure are taking their time this year!! One of the pepper plants is just now starting to blossom! We ended up putting long chicken wire "anti-bunny" cages over our greens to keep the little boogers out. I "tack" them into the ground with the push type clothes pins, works great!! Wonder if they would work on your beats too?
    Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Hi lisa, Next year I am going to try those cages over the beets. It is just to hot now and they will not make. Yep I have been very busy. Helping Bill harvest and then processing all the stuff. We both love doing it. Boy will taste good this winter. Our peppers just will not do much,geting a few bells and bananas but not like we should. Canning them are fun to us and they look so colorfull and pretty when I put some in the cupboard saves money too. You don't work to hard and get to hot.
    Bonnie
    Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 PM

WOW--those jars are beautiful!! My Mom and I can together and I know how much work it is and that's AFTER all the garden work! It's so worth it though.
    Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    Hi lisa, Next year I am going to try those cages over the beets. It is just to hot now and they will not make. Yep I have been very busy. Helping Bill harvest and then processing all the stuff. We both love doing it. Boy will taste good this winter. Our peppers just will not do much,geting a few bells and bananas but not like we should. Canning them are fun to us and they look so colorfull and pretty when I put some in the cupboard saves money too. You don't work to hard and get to hot.
    Bonnie

Cool beans...and very simple cages to do...just cut the chicken wire a little longer than the length of the row, fold it in half lengthwise, bend the ends in to close them up and tack them to the ground with clothes pins!!! I wonder whats up with the peppers this year? Ours are barely producing too. You do the same, You don't work too hard and stay cool too!!