Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Birdhouse BOM >
  • Birdhouse BOM

• Birdhouse BOM

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
    Power Poster

I'm so glad with all the changes, that I did see this one.
    I want to do a simple quilt with my grandbaby, Crystal. I have the fabrics. I showed them to her, and she loved them.
    She is five, so I think I am going to go ahead and cut the pieces out, maybe saving one part and let her help with that.
    She is very slender, so she can sit on my lap while i push foot pedal. We have sewn together like this before, and she pulled pins for nana.
    I think she is ready to use 1/4" foot, and learn to guide fabric.
    She is starting school very soon, so we may have to work on it, over a few weekends.
    It's just so much fun to read about others doing things with their young kids, and grandchildren. I love hearing all the details. Sounds like Brianna is doing great, Pam.
    Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM

5 years old isn't too young to start, she just needs to do things that are at her level of ability. When Bri and I did the first quilt I had her guiding fabric while I controlled the pedal. We did the stitching around one of the birdhouses today and I guided the fabric while she did the pedal. Once they get used to each part of it they can start using them together.

I am teaching her about contrast and trying to gently guide her to making good fabric choices. I don't want to interfere in letting her choose her own colors and I don't say anything unless I am pointing out something like the plaid roof fabric is the exact color of the house and showed her from several feet away that you can't see the roof. She did another one and commented herself that you can't really see the round brown hole against the brown house. :-)
    Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
    Power Poster

Lovely idea and looks fantastic. I think this is a wonderful project for the two of you, something the little one will always remember.

Children learn by doing....this is also great for her hand/eye co-ordination and learning colour theory in a fun environment. Can't wait to see the end result. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM

What wonderful memories you are making together!
    Brianna, you are doing awesome, keep up the great work. :thumbup:
    Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    Old 07-22-2009, 06:06 AM
    Banned

great job.... those look awesome
    Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 AM

She got a lot done yesterday, 10 of them. After the first 4 or so she has done them entirely by herself. There are only 4 more to go before she is caught up with the BOM. Now need to stitch them all on.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-17892.jpe  
    Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 AM
    Power Poster

That is so great,

I taught all of my kids to sew at a young age, A lot of the machines have the speed control and such, I started by being behind them, it didn't last long, they wanted to do for themselves, I just put the foot up on something so that they could reach it, of course this is a pain when I wanted to sew as I had to move everything around to be able to do it. They are all tall enough no that they no longer need anything, they mess around all the time doing things here and there and don't require more than guidance some times (though my son doesn't do a lot)