Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Block 2 from Lessons from Mamma >
  • Block 2 from Lessons from Mamma

• Block 2 from Lessons from Mamma

Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Location: Kalamazoo Michigan but living in Roanoke Indiana till I can retire

Those blocks are so nice. You are doing a great job. I was going to ask who is mamma but I see it is a book. But are you also taking a class? Marilyn
    Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Love your quilt blocks, I love the colors and you did a great job on them. Where did you find your book of patterns?
    Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Yes I am taking a class from a LQS I did the first block in class two weeks ago and this morning did the second one. I then did the third one when I came home. The instructor asked us to do a few at home to speed up the time. Which is fine since the next couple of blocks have the same technique. Hoping to do another one tomorrow.
    Originally Posted by coffeepot
    Those blocks are so nice. You are doing a great job. I was going to ask who is mamma but I see it is a book. But are you also taking a class? Marilyn
    Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Wow you are doing so well. Is the lessons from mamma a book then or is it the name of the class? Thank you Marilyn
    Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Its the name of the book. The measurements a little strange. None of the blocks are the same size. some of the cuts are like 4 1/4 and 3 7/8 - Each block take 1/8 yard of assorted colors. There is a tool that I am using at the LQS for two of the blocks. Its an expensive tool...The Tri-Rec tools which makes the fat and skinny triangles. I am forgoing the outside borders and going to use my die cutter to make a triangle border. I was looking at the one in the book and to me...it will take forever. This is an interesting quilt but don't think I would do it if not for the class.
    Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Thank you for the information. I can't wait till you get it done I think its going to be beautiful. Marilyn
    Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Your blocks are lovely. Great choice of fabrics and your workmanship is outstanding. Can't wait to see the whole quilt.

I did Mama's Shortcuts many years ago as a block of the month. It was fun to do but the border was a pieced border and the directions called for cutting the quilt down for the border to fit. Lucky that the shop owner helped me with that for I never would have finished it. And here's the icing on the cake: I won a 3rd place ribbon for the quilt and the judge said that the border did not go with the quilt. Had I known beforehand, I would have done a simpler border.
    Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM

LOL...now that is funny...that border is very hard...the Judge had no idea how hard. I am proud of you for finishing the border. There were several woman shopping in the quilt shop they they said they still have not finished the quilt do to the border...over a year...and not done. The was when I decided I was going to do a different border. Congrats on your 3rd place.
    Originally Posted by Blue Bell
    Your blocks are lovely. Great choice of fabrics and your workmanship is outstanding. Can't wait to see the whole quilt.

I did Mama's Shortcuts many years ago as a block of the month. It was fun to do but the border was a pieced border and the directions called for cutting the quilt down for the border to fit. Lucky that the shop owner helped me with that for I never would have finished it. And here's the icing on the cake: I won a 3rd place ribbon for the quilt and the judge said that the border did not go with the quilt. Had I known beforehand, I would have done a simpler border.
    Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
    Power Poster

I like those! Love your fabrics too!
    Old 03-12-2011, 08:51 PM

I love these, beautiful blocks!