Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Blooming Lilacs >
  • Blooming Lilacs

• Blooming Lilacs

Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by earlylace
    I am in love with your quilt, question? is it a 9 patch with flowers that why it is called blooming 9 patch? I think this will be on my to do list someday if I can figure out how to do it.
    This is probably one of the simplest patterns you could pick. It is simply six different fabric squares, with a nine patch between each square. The nine patch is made up of the fabrics of the adjacent two "solid" squares. Easy peasy. The book has them set on point, but I made them straight (so no setting squares! LOL) which gives the diamond pattern. Essentially this is a trip around the world alternating plain squares with nine patches.
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Very pretty quilt; you did a good job. I have a few Lilac bushes and they keep spreading in my yard; I have to keep cutting them back.

OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :shock: :-(

But thanks for your kind words!! :P
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by earlylace
    I am in love with your quilt, question? is it a 9 patch with flowers that why it is called blooming 9 patch? I think this will be on my to do list someday if I can figure out how to do it.
    This is probably one of the simplest patterns you could pick. It is simply six different fabric squares, with a nine patch between each square. The nine patch is made up of the fabrics of the adjacent two "solid" squares. Easy peasy. The book has them set on point, but I made the straight (so no setting squares! LOL) which gives the diamond pattern. Essentially this is a trip around the world alternating plain squares with nine patches.
    Do you need a BIG design wall?? I was gong to do mine from a corner and sweep down, but I guess the wildflower Bargello would do that.
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Very Nice
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 AM

I love this i want this do you need my address?

***ETA : Karla!! Thanks for posting pictures!!!!!!
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 AM

I LOVE the smell of lilacs! Beautiful quilt!
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by barnbum
    Do you need a BIG design wall?? I was gong to do mine from a corner and sweep down, but I guess the wildflower Bargello would do that.
    You don't HAVE to have a big design wall. I ended up working from the center square out because it was easier for me to see how the arrangement went. I numbered my fabrics 1 thru 6, then assigned letters to my nine patches A-F (A=fabrics 1&2, B=fabrics 2&3, etc). Then on the graph paper I actually filled the appropriate letter/number in a quarter of the pattern. That made it easier to count how many squares & nine patches I needed.

I worked from the center out to see how the fabrics flowed. I initially worked all from stash. Eventually I decided I didn't like the #1 fabric, and then searched out the lilacs on white fabric, and changed to it. Now, looking at the finished product, I wish I had switched fabric 1 & 2, the white lilac and the green. That would have made the lilac fabric more prominent in the middle, rather than the green. But on the whole, I am pleased with it!!

I'm going to leave the quilting up to the LAQ'r, but I am thinking of something that keeps enhances each ring of material.

And I had to "Wahhhhh" over your photos! After giving them a big sniff, of course! :lol: :lol: Mom has one of your photos showing the lilacs at your dad's place as the wallpaper on her computer.
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai

I worked from the center out to see how the fabrics flowed. I initially worked all from stash. Eventually I decided I didn't like the #1 fabric, and then searched out the lilacs on white fabric, and changed to it. Now, looking at the finished product, I wish I had switched fabric 1 & 2, the white lilac and the green. That would have made the lilac fabric more prominent in the middle, rather than the green. But on the whole, I am pleased with it!!
    Oh I like the green there... look at the photos--yours look just like the 2nd one and the green helps! There are lots of leaves toward the center and the blooms are more on the outside (see 3rd pic)--so you did great!!!!!!
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! Great colours!
    Maureen
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by barnbum
    Oh I like the green there... look at the photos--yours look just like the 2nd one and the green helps! There are lots of leaves toward the center and the blooms are more on the outside (see 3rd pic)--so you did great!!!!!!
    Thanks Sweetie!! I love your photos. They make me misty-eyed with longing. That was the original title: Longing for Lilacs. But Blooming Lilacs seemed easier and more appropriate!! LOL

I don't guess I answered your design wall question. No, you don't need a big one. If you stack your fabrics and are careful to order them correctly according to the pattern, you don't need one at all. I just wanted to see how the design would flow/set, but it grew so big eventually I ended up stacking the rows like I said.