Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Blue Fan Wholecloth >
  • Blue Fan Wholecloth

• Blue Fan Wholecloth

Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

What a beauty! Your stitching is perfect. Absolutely love it.
    Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 PM

It is beautiful. I do hand quilting but there is no way my stitches look like yours. I am far and I mean far from having them be so perfect. A fantastic job.
    Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Thank for sharing l love your work l love hand quilting as well l dream to do hand quilting like you or the besst l can
    Elsie Blight
    Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM

wow wow wow
    Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Your quilting is impecible! Just stunning!
    Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Absolutely beautiful..............something I could never do! Be very proud!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Samara in OH
    What is needlemarking? I went and looked at your pitures, your quilts are wonderfull. Have you ever thought about writting a how to book?
    Needlemarking is a method to mark out quilting patterns without using a pencil etc. You need a darning needle for it. With the tip of the needle you scratch the pattern in the farbic and the needle's tip leaves a thin crease on it. It's important to hold the needle in a small angle to the fabric and not completely vertical so the tip can not destroy the fabric. I found a description of this wonderful marking technique in a book from UK written in 1954 and it works great, especially for light fabrics.
    Many quilters here in Germany have asked me to write a book about hand quilting and wholecloth quilting (there is almost no literature about that topic written in German!) but I haven't started yet. Maybe I will do it some day.
    Old 01-02-2011, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    This wholecloth is made in 2006 and it is one of my favourites. The size is 75"x75", it is hand quilted and I marked the patterns by my own.
    Hope you like it!
    great job
    Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 AM

beautiful
    Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 AM

Dear All,
    thank you for all your nice comments! Your interest really makes me happy and I want to answer your questions as well as possible.

Depending on the fabric and the batting I use for my quilts I am able to quilt up to 16 stitches per inch (only counted on the top), the average size is 12 to 14 per inch. Fabrics and battings always have differences so my result also has it's changes.

In general I don't use broadcloth or extra wide fabrics like the ones for backings. I've never found a fabric quality that I like until today and for that reason I purchase cotton fabrics with 44-45" width and piece them. The seams are pressed open and I sew them by hand so the seams do not distract too much from the whole design.

The hand quilting thread I've used on the blue quilt is a shade of light blue, not white. I love to use a contrasting color of thread, especially on dark fabrics where the quilting doesn't stand out well using tone-in-tone thread.

I use pre-cut stencils for my designs but I also do my own designs. I make stencils out of cardboard or plastic material and I use everything I find in my kitchen like plates, cups, glasses etc. For this blue quilt I only used one stencil (the fan), all the other patterns are drawn with things like this and of course a long ruler. The small circles are marked around a spool of thread...I also do some freehand quilting and marking and this is a lot of fun.

My favourite book on hand quilting and wholecloths is "The Essential Quilter" by Barbara Chainey and I have also learned a lot of "That Perfect Stitch" by Roxanne McElroy. There are some others written by Elsie Campbell, Cindy Walter, Diana Leone, Pepper Cory and Alex Anderson that are really helpful. I think every quilter has to find her/his own way to hand quilt and find out the best techniques by practicing.