Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • blue jean rag quilt >
  • blue jean rag quilt

• blue jean rag quilt

Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM

QuilterJ:
    I really like your jean quilt. I have several bags of old jeans to make a few more of these quilts. Years ago I made jean quilts for everyone of my friends to put in the car trunk to use if they had to change a tire or if there was an impromptu picnic or ??? They are wonderful, durable, HEAVY and wash beautifully. Thank you for reminding me to make somemore but this time I'll make them raggedy like yours. The o nes I made way back when weren't raggedy. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
    QuilterJ:
    I really like your jean quilt. I have several bags of old jeans to make a few more of these quilts. Years ago I made jean quilts for everyone of my friends to put in the car trunk to use if they had to change a tire or if there was an impromptu picnic or ??? They are wonderful, durable, HEAVY and wash beautifully. Thank you for reminding me to make somemore but this time I'll make them raggedy like yours. The o nes I made way back when weren't raggedy. Thanks for sharing.

feathers this isn't my quilt.

quilterj
    Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 AM

QuilterJ:
    :oops: Hey! What can I say? I have SENIOR MOMENTS more frequently than I care to admit.

NANABIRDMO....I'm sorry, I know you made the jean quilt just told QuilterJ how much I liked it. I'm crotchety and can't keep names straight even when they are written and right in front of my nose! :oops:
    Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 PM

nanabirdmo, one question. how do you join the rows together on these quilts. I have 6 1/2 inch blocks cut out and haven't joined them because I don't know how they go together. It occurs to me that when you join the rows you might have problems going over the seams..

Linda
    Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 PM

hey feathers, not to worry. i'm just glad you liked my quilt. it is fun to get feedback.
    Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 PM

treasurelady, you'e right, the thickness can be a problem. for the rag quilts i always press the seams open. this will help to alleviate the thickness problem. it also really helps to stagger the blocks so the seams don't intersect.
    have fun and be sure to post pics when you're done. we love to see everyone's work.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 AM

wooooowwwwwww...What a dedicaion..... :mrgreen: great idea too
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:44 PM

speaking of using up old jeans - I saw something cute. Take the two matching back pockets and decorate with buttons, lace, etc. sew the two sides and bottom together, put velcrow strips inside the top, and you have a cute small purse for a teen. Also could put a belt loop on one side and it could hook to your belt.
    Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 AM

StayAtHome: Cute idea for a small purse. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 12-27-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
    so i took a break from baby quilts. i had a big old box of blue jeans from when my 16 yr old grandson was about 6 up until the last time i cleaned out my closet. so i used grandkids, mine, grandpa's, and great grandpa's and scraps from several flannel rags for the back. no pattern at all, just cut blocks of denim sewed into rows. then i added some pockets. boy, denim is heavy!!
    That's a cool denim quilt. I am in the process of cutting up old jeans into 6.5" squares. I liked the idea of using the pockets but couldn't figure out how. Then I saw yours. How did you attach the pockets?
    It looks like you left some fabric around the pocket and then stitched it down onto your block and allowed it to fray. Is that about right?